Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bug Designer Pro X pastes images as jpeg?

Hi!
    I'm a long time user (probably about 20 years now!) and advocate of Xara Designer, but it's been the first time in many years I've actually had a question about it...

I've noticed recently that when I copy and paste an image from Windows' snipping tool into Xara, it's started to import them as JPEGs not as bitmaps as I would expect it to.
    Does anyone know where the option is to set this behaviour?
    I've tried changing the settings under Options -> View tab -> Bitmaps, but it doesn't seem to apply to images imported from the clipboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks

-Soen
    Last edited by gwpriester; 17 January 2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: post flagged as bug

Default Re: Designer Pro X pastes images as jpeg?

JPEG is a bitmap.

Quote Originally Posted by soeno View Post
    Hi!
    I'm a long time user (probably about 20 years now!) and advocate of Xara Designer, but it's been the first time in many years I've actually had a question about it...

I've noticed recently that when I copy and paste an image from Windows' snipping tool into Xara, it's started to import them as JPEGs not as bitmaps as I would expect it to.
    Does anyone know where the option is to set this behaviour?
    I've tried changing the settings under Options -> View tab -> Bitmaps, but it doesn't seem to apply to images imported from the clipboard.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    -Soen
    Soen, I have just tried a free-form snip and save as PNG.

It does not appear to have an alpha channel (no transparency).

Xara would never have imported an image as a "bitmap" (.BMP); the Bitmap gallery is a store of images awaiting your decision on how they are to be displayed (JPG, PNG).

If you want a PNG of the image on your design page, use Web Properties > Image > Web image types, set to PNG.
    Even if you place a transparent PNG on your design page, Xara will render it as a JPG with the background bordering the PNG included.
    Only when you declare it to be PNG, does it remain so.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

when you paste from snip [ at least when I do in ver 15.1] it shows as 'bitmap' in the design gallery and on the status bar - this may have changed to jepg in ver 16, I don't know - if I save it from the gallery xara chooses jepg as default format so it may always have been a jepg bitmap in the first place from snip ? ...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    when you paste from snip [ at least when I do in ver 15.1] it shows as 'bitmap' in the design gallery and on the status bar - this may have changed to jepg in ver 16, I don't know - if I save it from the gallery xara chooses jepg as default format so it may always have been a jepg bitmap in the first place from snip ? ...
    Apologies to Soeno!

I have just done the same with v11 and the import is a PNG with transparency.
    The Snipping tool export as PNG does not include transparency though.

Could a kind Mod move this Thread to Dear Xara forum as it is another unresolved bug?
    It fails in v16.
    It fails in v15.
    It fails in v12.
    It works in v11.
    No wonder I keep all the version available to get through this morass.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

right I can cross check that in ver 11 - sure you will be right though

PS the windows snip is due to be repaced by 'snip and sketch' currently that new feature/app does not have free-form [mode] snip afaik
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thread moved to Dear Xara and flagged as a bug.

thanks gary

acorn - confirmed, alpha in ver 11 but not in ver 15.1
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Thread moved to Dear Xara and flagged as a bug.
    Thank you Gary.

Acorn

Hi Soeno

I believe this was an intended change made in version 12 and can be controlled by the following registry key

key name: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\16\Options\Filters ( alter the version number to match your version)
    Value name: OptimiseJpegFromPng

With the program closes, right click on the value name and select modify. Change the value data from 1 to 0 and click on OK.