Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Mobile Friendly Website

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee21 View Post
    Almost 70% of the website traffic is from mobile and smartphones. So it is very important to optimise the website for mobile. I would suggest having the necessary pages on the mobile version.
    I am missing any point you have here. Can you define how to "optimise the website for mobile"?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I believe what David is referring to is the OP states he has 55 pages on his desktop site but want's a reduced number on the mobile version. That should be covered by a sitemap.xml file.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I believe what David is referring to is the OP states he has 55 pages on his desktop site but want's a reduced number on the mobile version. That should be covered by a sitemap.xml file.
    Thank Egg, got it.

The only current way to have fewer than 55 mobile web pages is to add a meta referral to those pages that not wanted to be viewed in mobile mode.

The trick is to decide where the user is led: add to the unwanted page's headers - <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=index.htm" /> is too simple a cop out, so a careful map of Main to redirected Mobile page is essential. Each unwanted page can be totally blank as it is never viewed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Info Re: Mobile Friendly Website

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Thank Egg, got it.
    The only current way to have fewer than 55 mobile web pages is to add a meta referral to those pages that not wanted to be viewed in mobile mode.
    The trick is to decide where the user is led: add to the unwanted page's headers - <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=index.htm" /> is too simple a cop out, so a careful map of Main to redirected Mobile page is essential. Each unwanted page can be totally blank as it is never viewed.
    Acorn
    a JavaScript redirect alternative,, in the page body:
    Code:
    <script>setTimeout(function() { window.location.replace("index.htm"); }, 1000);
    </script>
    I added a delay of 1 second (1,000 mS) but you can set this to zero.

Acorn

Just to be clear. I did not want to create a variant, but to create a separate website with just a few pages which would be a mobile version and it could be linked to the main site. I recall a few years back that this was possible.

Info Re: Mobile Friendly Website

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    Just to be clear. I did not want to create a variant, but to create a separate website with just a few pages which would be a mobile version and it could be linked to the main site. I recall a few years back that this was possible.
    Miko, my coding does that just as well. You create two design files and publish both to the same location. One (let's call it Main has index, etc; the second and subsequent have index-s, index-m or index-l and associated other pages following the same pattern. i put all four sizes in one file to same all the knitting four separate files incurs. You then block out the mobile pages you don't need.

My approach allows for a transition from any page to any same page of a different width. If you don't need that flexibility, you would simply use a small part of the code to immediately redirect to the mobile site index page:
    Code:
    <script>
    vpw = window.innerWidth;
      if (vpw <= 600) {
         location = "mobile/index.htm";
      }
    </script>
    You would place this in your index page head.

Acorn

Many thanks, Acorn, I will give it a try when I have a few minutes. Also thanks to all who have contributed.