Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSL Certificate

Default SSL Certificate

It appears, that Xara does NOT support SSL certification of any nature.
    This seems strange, as many people do expect that SSL is incorporated into their web sites.
    There are organisations, that do sell SSL certificates, but not evn those certificates can be used in a Xara/Magix hosting, which is
    to me, disappointing.
    My question: Why is an important feature such as SSL not supported by Xara/Magix?

Default Re: SSL Certificate

I don't think there is a big commitment on behalf of Xara?Magix to offer high end features. I have complained for some time about the lack of a secure connection when you use their technology to password protect a page or site. There would appear little interest in changing this. My advice, find a professional web-hosting company that actually makes an attempt to stay up on the current technology.

I see you're a fellow Aussie. I'm not sure how much info can be posted before the spam hammer decends. What I will say, is that I am paying a little under AU200 a year for cPanel, SSL, 5GB storage, 3 databases, PHP, Softaculous, CloudFlare and a partridge in a pear tree.

Thank you fellow sufferers :-(
    With the various "hosting companies" like Wix, Godaddy, Wordpress, etc giving the SSL certificate for free in their hosting service and web builder, I wish Xara would wake up and incorporate the SSL. It annoys me greatly when I check my web site and my Nortons (I think) tells me that the provider has NOT configured the website properly. I use "website.grader.com" for my SEO checking, simple check up on performance, as I like most other web sites don't need a huge amount of costly SEO performance, but security is a must.
    I personally like Xara, as my websites are "picture rich" and Xara is sooo easy to use. (I am not into programming and HTML stuff) My question: Can I use a XARA completed web site and host it without any problems in a hosting company like wordpress, etc
    that also provides an SSL certificate?
    Any information is greatly appreciated. Cheers Frank

As with virtually all companies these days, you will be lied to. Taking GoDaddy as an example, you will struggle to find what you're paying for. They are currently advertising $1 a month, that rises to $10 a month after a set period of time. You then find that $10 a month doesn't cover SSL, which 'starts' at $75 a year.

Now, you want basic hosting with SSL. With GoDaddy you will be paying $195 a year and it's next door to impossible to see how much, or what features are available on their website. If they won't tell you what you are getting, and try to hide costs behind advertising, then you know they're ripping you off. It's a shame that bad business is perceived good due to advertising lying

Quote Originally Posted by CrankyFranky View Post
    It appears, that Xara does NOT support SSL certification of any nature.
    This seems strange, as many people do expect that SSL is incorporated into their web sites.
    There are organisations, that do sell SSL certificates, but not evn those certificates can be used in a Xara/Magix hosting, which is
    to me, disappointing.
    My question: Why is an important feature such as SSL not supported by Xara/Magix?

Take a look at these threads: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...re-SSL-(https) and https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...SL-certificate.

I think I luckily fell into JustHost and CloudFlare. I have unlimited website hosting & emails and CPanel and automatic free SSL certification. Free CloudFlare offers CDN and protection. I buy my hosting over 5 years to keep the annual rates lower.

You can always pay for premium hosting and wildcard SSL cover if your site is genuinely mainstream but with CDN and 99.5+% availability I have managed to keep my few Internet clients, including internationals, happy. My main work has been through corporate Intranets where all of the above are part of the infrastructure as a matter of course.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you all for your help and great information. It is really very much appreciated.
    Just a query: What is CPanel, can I have a rundown on it?
    Cheers
    Frank

cPanel is literally the control panel of your hosting, much like Windows control panel. It gives you access to your hosted files, allows you to create emails, change your PHP version, create redirects and sub-domains. In short, it allows you to play puppet master to your presence on the host server in a (semi) user friendly GUI.

https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/what-is-cpanel/ is a good place to start. Also YouTube.

C-Panel is a large selection of tools that give you a lot of control over your site. I use C-Panel with my host to assign and manage email accounts, change passwords, and a few other things. The large array of tools and functions are very complete should you need or want them.