Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Designer Pro X pastes images as jpeg?

maybe - but does anyone know of any other program where free-form snip pastes in with alpha - it does not appeare to work for me with affinity photo, photoshop, sai, corel painter or inkscape even...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

BTW - when i paste into xara ver 15.1 the bitmap gallery still declares it as a 'bitmap' not a 'jpeg' - I'm not totally clear where the idea that it pastes in as a jpeg comes from....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Just tried it here. It's doing something "clever" and slightly unpredictable... It pastes an uncompressed bitmap sometimes, and JPEG other times. I can't quite figure out the pattern here. It appears to be doing some content-aware detection to see whether the content has a lot of "detail" and then compresses it if it is very detailed. And all of these captures came from the windows snapshot tool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screencaptures.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	123194

- The last two screenshots are the most interesting because this is the same chrome tab/process. I should try with another screenshot tool to see if I get the same results. Weird!

(Edit: This is Xara Designer Pro X v15.1.0.53605 May 3rd 2018)

ok from xara help: [ver 15.1]

Automatic conversion to JPEG

The JPEG image format is usually the best choice for photo images, because it maintains high quality with smaller file sizes. So when you import non-JPEG photo files, Xara Designer Pro X will examine the image to see if it would be more appropriate as a JPEG. If so, a prompt is shown giving you the option to convert it to JPEG on import. This reduces the size of your document files and reduces memory usage when editing.

When pasting in images from the clipboard, the same analysis is done and the image is imported as JPEG if that's appropriate. This is done silently with no prompts. This is particularly useful when copying and pasting in images from web browsers because although the images are often JPEGs in the web page, some browsers don't communicate this to the clipboard.
    note the second paragraph - you appear not to be given a choice - xara yet again thinks it knows best.. stupid, stupid, stupid
    Nothing lasts forever...

In other words it isn't a bug but a deliberate choice.
    So if it was in one of the previous versions why can't they put back in?
    They can't say the base code is that different because the desktop didn't get that much overhaul,now did it.

because they try to make it 'simple' for their target users at the expense of others?

'often JPEG' is the phrase note... so you have to ask who are they aimimg at

if you want alpha regardless you have to download, not copy paste; if you can't [easily] download I guess maybe the argument is you should not be doing it

what irritates me is that the program automatically assumes it knows what should be optimised to JPEG.. no no no
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yeah, as a UX Developer I'm a little taken aback by this decision. Again, Xara Designer is a professional level program, it shouldn't try to be clever as it's used by people who tend to be experts; it should be, in the very least, an option if not a dialog prompt with an option to save the setting.

Yes,bury options because the users we aim at are just plain stupid and can't decide how to work with transparency and don't know what a png is.