Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Xara web space and slider widget

So let me get this straight. If I do not have access to xara hosting/web space then my slider widget will stop working?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard-1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	123168

Default Re: Xara web space and slider widget

Not sure. There is one way to find out.

Well Mine still has not expired, but if that is the case, that would be very bad. Horrible and upsetting. For now I am okay. Someone from Xara @Rob can answer this?

Let me give Rob a heads up. Check back tomorrow.

Thanks

Kate Moir assured us a time back that access for existing sliders would persist.
    What this means is you can Edit into an existing slideshow. I know you cannot activate a new slider from the Online Content Catalogue when the Update Service has expired..
    What I don't know is once into the widget whether you can create a new one and save that off.

I will try a number of access mechanisms I can think of later today, possibly.

Xara has still not restored the v12 widget that was pulled. This puts the Xara Slideshow Widget under permanent Update Service tutelage.
    I have always had concerns about the EULA statement and the Xara abstracting your photos into its Cloud space.

I much prefer building my own. I just build a client's site using a XaraTemplate design, XT109, that has a very powerful approach where all the images are in the design file and hosted in your space.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I think it reverts to the free account (500mb) which should still give you access to the slider.

If your update service expires then I don't think you'll be able to insert one (but you could just copy the slider from another project file, open and then change it).

I have copied an old Slider to a new file in v12 and logged into the Xara server with my original registered email and password.
    I was able to create a new Slider and save it.
    I have even created an new one in XDPX v16 and opened and edited the XAR file, and Widget, in XWDP v12.

All of this begs the question, why is Xara not making the Xara Slideshow Widget fully accessible to all?
    It is barking that we have to advise customers of a Xara product where the functionality will be lost if you don't use and save it that once into a file.

I have tracked down the XWR file in my v16 local Cache and dragged the file into an open XWDP v11 page and this works; a file that is 783 bytes small.

What I don't know is whether you need to create access before the Update Service expires.
    Perhaps someone could check by visiting http://widgets.xara-online.com/slider/index.php?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It is barking that we have to advise customers of a Xara product where the functionality will be lost if you don't use and save it that once into a file.
    Because that content directly costs money to maintain, but Magix haven't gone as far as completely removing access to existing widgets if your update service or hosting expires. I wouldn't give them any ideas.

Like Acorn said, why not make it with no strings attached? Leave all the pictures accessible local without taking them into hostage on the cloud and stop all this login and password crap. This only creates problems for developers and for files that are passed on to the client later down the road. Seriously some of the planning that goes in the background of these tools are coming from where? Who makes these stupid decisions and based on what. Why just the Slider widget and not the other ones? I just don't get it.