Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Accessing content widgets, help please....

Hi,

I'm a long time Xara Web Designer user, going back to version 9. I currently own Premium 365.

I haven't used the software for some time, for various personal reasons, and i'm just coming back to it. I'm struggling to add basic widgets such as photo slideshows to my web pages. When I go to insert content I am automatically directed to a Xara web page which informs me that my update service has expired. I try longging in with my Xara username and password, which seems succesful (as I am able to access my account and view the products that I own, for example) but this still doesn't seem to provide me with the access to any widgets.

Previously I have been able to access all the widegts i've needed directly from the Xara app on my laptop (they appeared in a bar on the right hand side). But they dont seem to be there any more, at least there is only 2 showing and mostly + boxes saying "view more online". But clicking these takes me to the same page.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks
    Tom

Default Re: Accessing content widgets, help please....

Tom, you are in a hard place.

Xara switched to a one year Update Service, which appears to have lapsed.

Your only options are to switch try and link back to v9 content, pay for a yearly update £34.99) [Magix are throwing in Hello Engines! 11 (£90.99 value) VEGAS Movie Studio 15 (£39.99 value) Photo Manager 16 Deluxe (£34.99 value)], or complain to Xara that this was not at all clear in your original purchase.

Xara will likely refer you to something like https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ting-Explained.

Come back here if you need help linking to your earlier content.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Tom, you are in a hard place.

Xara switched to a one year Update Service, which appears to have lapsed.

Your only options are to switch try and link back to v9 content, pay for a yearly update £34.99) [Magix are throwing in Hello Engines! 11 (£90.99 value) VEGAS Movie Studio 15 (£39.99 value) Photo Manager 16 Deluxe (£34.99 value)], or complain to Xara that this was not at all clear in your original purchase.

Xara will likely refer you to something like https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ting-Explained.

Come back here if you need help linking to your earlier content.

Acorn
    Crikey. Right ok. That does seem somewhat unfair, given that (I dont believe) this yearly subscription was in effect when I purchased my copy of Web Designer 365.

I have no intention of taking out an annual subscription. Web Designer 365 does everything I need, or at least it should/did previously.

I think a message to Xara customer services might be in order.

Just out of interest, how would I link back to v9? Would that require uninstalling everything, and then accessing the download and product key from Xara website?

Off the top of my head, the only thing i've found useful is the dual design thingy (for both mobile and laptop sites). I cant remember if this was part of v9. I think it was a more recent upgrade. It would be a shame to lose that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Just out of interest, how would I link back to v9? Would that require uninstalling everything, and then accessing the download and product key from Xara website?

Off the top of my head, the only thing i've found useful is the dual design thingy (for both mobile and laptop sites). I cant remember if this was part of v9. I think it was a more recent upgrade. It would be a shame to lose that.
    RM, in a Windows Explorer window enter this %localappdata%/Xara/WebDesignerPremium/9/Cache/designs/eng/. If this opens to some content then your v9 templates are still on your PC.

In Xara, open the Local Designs gallery and click the Disc designs button.
    From the Windows Explorer address bar, copy and page the resolved path into the bottom input bar and press the Add button.

The Variants ("dual design thingy") came after v9.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I believe before version 11 everything was stored on your computer like Acorn pointed out. I should also point out that if you have version 11 installed, you can get online access to 11 version content catalog. The 365 model was the one that removed the content catalog after a year but version 11 still allows access.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    I believe before version 11 everything was stored on your computer like Acorn pointed out. I should also point out that if you have version 11 installed, you can get online access to 11 version content catalog. The 365 model was the one that removed the content catalog after a year but version 11 still allows access.
    Ray
    ray, v11 and upwards, if you right-click on the Folders in the Local Designs gallery, all th contnet is saved locally as well.

The trick is know you have to do this before your Update Service expires.

Xara could easily offer this to you to choose when installing the application the first time; the fact it chooses not to, speaks volumes.
    What you then get after expiry is all the content without a search mechanism. Again, I have offered a suggestion to Xara...

Acorn