Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: paint bucket fill, how to, beginner that used to use photoshop

the black is still a line, the green is a shape... also true you can break shapes
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'd just like to point mintintegral18 to Xhris' excellent Xara training resource at http://www.xhris.digitalred.net/

It only covers up to v11, but I reckon that would still be over 90% of what's in the latest version

I did the XaraXone and the Workbook for over 15 years and it's amazing how much of those very old articles and tutorials are still valid. http://archive.xaraxone.com

Whooppee, thanks for that, I have been fighting with that 'problem' for years!
    :-)
    Joëlle

ok, cool. how do I use the flat fill tool? And can this be done on a new layer? Below is some experiences that can be considered background info but I've screen shot this..... I think I like new layers because it seems very well suited to revert back to original black and white drawing and I can make different colored versions and quickly export toggling on off layers.... unfortunately, I am unable to use the fill tool for a flat fill, even ON THE SAME layer. I've found a mistake in the characters thumb. Definitely I've gotten more into Xara with this post. There are a few lines that overlap, looking closed, but are not connected shapes or lines. I TABBed and ENTERED around the entire shapes, until it fill black, this is how I found the gap. the gap, I think I fixed it, and Added the shapes into one.

every time I click Fill tool, nothing happens. Every time I click and drag fill tool, a black arrow appears, but nothing happens.

I have rediscovered Windows Paint tool has a bucket fill tool. It allows me to fill closed shapes with color rapidly with one click. maybe I missed something, but if I understand How is the Xara fill tool like it?

I've tried this cool technique, joining to a shape that has a fill I want, but bonkers and haywires. the LINE turns the color but does not fill with color. And the line width seems to shrink to 1 pixel, down from 8. And another haywire experience, I noticed when fixing my thumb of the character, the rest of the line doubled in width and the line I free draw, stays the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foji27nyj9M
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_join_color11.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	123169

Name:	xara_join_color5.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	123170

Name:	xara_join_color1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	123171

Name:	xara_join_color2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	123172

Name:	xara_join_color3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	123173

Name:	xara_join_color4.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	123174

Name:	xara_join_color12.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	123175

ok, yes, I think I see this when I zoom in or in my screen shot of the green line, because all my lines doubled and there are tiny fills of a darker green. I will review starting from a brand new png file again. I do want to keep looking for a Windows Paint like...fill tool, so I can use my stylus to fill, or mouse click and fill, and have my drawings all be closed shapes when scanned in. Thanks.

you do not need the fill tool in xara to fill a shape with flat colour - once the shape is closed it fills automatically, and you can change colour simply by clicking on the status bar colour line or using the colour editor... and which ever way you do it make sure your shape is selected otherwise nothing will happen; in a vector program you are dealing with objects in a workspace, not a canvas, and you must tell the program which object[s] you want to operate on by selecting them first

[the fill tool is specifically used for different types of fills, such as linear gradients etc]

BTW: one thing you might find helpful - go to the uliliities menu /options / general tab and change the settings to as shown in the red box below - this will stop the program automatically remembering attribute settings which I think can be confusing when you are trying to learn the basics

Name:	settings attributes.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	123176
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Been out of the loop recently so a bit late in on this one:

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

A further explanation:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	123199  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host