Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Nabble in variants

Just out of curiosity, I set up a Nabble forum. Simple setup, appears to work nicely. Don't have an immediate need, but was playing with a site with one variant. I wanted to have a copy of the Nabble widget on the narrower variant, so tried to "share with variants" but got message stating that's not possible, just do a copy. Tried that, and the copy was same width used on my main page (540 pix), so I modified the width to 374 to fit within the column I'd allocated on the variant. It looks fine in design mode, but in preview, the copy just shows "loading" and it never displays the forum on the narrow page. I set the widget back to full width, just to see if the narrower display was the problem, and it still showed the "loading message" and never displayed the form.

Has anyone played with this, using a Nabble form on a main and variant, and gotten it to work on both?

Thanks!
    Ken

Default Re: Nabble in variants

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Anderson View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I set up a Nabble forum. Simple setup, appears to work nicely. Don't have an immediate need, but was playing with a site with one variant. I wanted to have a copy of the Nabble widget on the narrower variant, so tried to "share with variants" but got message stating that's not possible, just do a copy. Tried that, and the copy was same width used on my main page (540 pix), so I modified the width to 374 to fit within the column I'd allocated on the variant. It looks fine in design mode, but in preview, the copy just shows "loading" and it never displays the forum on the narrow page. I set the widget back to full width, just to see if the narrower display was the problem, and it still showed the "loading message" and never displayed the form.
    Has anyone played with this, using a Nabble form on a main and variant, and gotten it to work on both?
    Thanks! Ken
    Ken, I have not used Nabble but if you could check the embed code it might have a part like id="...". If so when you duplicate the embedding placeholder, the second and subsequent will fail as HTML only detects the first instance. Each embedding needs a different id.

If you could provide the code, we could check.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Info Re: Nabble in variants

Looks like you get id="nabblelink", whic you could change to id="nabblelink1", id="nabblelink2", etc, or any term you like.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acorn! I'll give this a try. I had to set that project aside just after I posted my original question. Hope to get back to it soon, perhaps tomorrow, and will post back to this thread when I've done what you suggested.

Acorn, I just did go back and grab the Nabble embed code. Had originally done it using the Nabble widget, but that was clunky, so killed that and just drew a box and made it a placeholder, pasting in the embed code. Then I made a smaller placeholder on my narrower variant, did the same, leaving it as just ID="nabblelink"; upon doing previews, I got the same result as before, with the variant just showing "Loading" and nothing else happening. Changed that placeholder to ID="nabblelink1" and got the same result. The form referenced in the embed code is my unique identifier for my test Nabble forum, only difference, per your suggestion, is the addition of the digit 1 in the ID. The site in question can be seen at www.intergarten.com/prototype, and it's on page 5. Wide screen looks OK, but narrowing it to where it picks up the variant will show a blank page 5. I've registered on the Nabble forum, and will see if they can suggest a solution. If I get it solved, will post here.

Info Re: Nabble in variants

Acorn, I just did go back and grab the Nabble embed code. Had originally done it using the Nabble widget, but that was clunky, so killed that and just drew a box and made it a placeholder, pasting in the embed code. Then I made a smaller placeholder on my narrower variant, did the same, leaving it as just ID="nabblelink"; upon doing previews, I got the same result as before, with the variant just showing "Loading" and nothing else happening. Changed that placeholder to ID="nabblelink1" and got the same result. The form referenced in the embed code is my unique identifier for my test Nabble forum, only difference, per your suggestion, is the addition of the digit 1 in the ID. The site in question can be seen at www.intergarten.com/prototype, and it's on page 5. Wide screen looks OK, but narrowing it to where it picks up the variant will show a blank page 5. I've registered on the Nabble forum, and will see if they can suggest a solution. If I get it solved, will post here.
    Ken, I took the code of your main Page 5 and added to an IFRAME Placeholder. Your Posts previewed fine. I then created a 480px Variant and simply adjusted the Placeholder width. The Variant previewed fine.

Here is my test file: Widget - NabbleKen.xar

I did remove a spurious style parameter and changed the height parameter to 100%.

Acorn

Thank you! I'll get this fixed and keep it for future reference. I appreciate your help. This forum is wonderful, and you have helped me many times. Happy New Year!

Acorn: I pasted your code into a placeholder on each page, and voila`... THANK YOU! This site is one of several I use for demo and prototype purposes, and this is a terrific added capability for anyone who would like it added to their site. www.intergarten.com/prototype, Nabble on Page 5. Works far better to do it as a Xara placeholder than to use the Nabble widget in the Content Catalog.

Acorn: I pasted your code into a placeholder on each page, and voila`... THANK YOU! This site is one of several I use for demo and prototype purposes, and this is a terrific added capability for anyone who would like it added to their site. www.intergarten.com/prototype, Nabble on Page 5. Works far better to do it as a Xara placeholder than to use the Nabble widget in the Content Catalog.
    Ken, I never even thought of using Nabble through the Xara Widget as it didn't seem to allow you to reference an existing Nabble account.

@Xara - if you can explain how to embed an existing Nabble account, I am sure others will appreciate it.

Acorn