Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21

    Default Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    Question: How is the 'pubands' layer on the 'album' page accessed?[/QUOTE]

    I was wondering the same thing.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    9,085

    Info Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    You CAN link to an object in another page, but not a pop-up on another page.
    Create 4 or 5 rectangles and name them 1, 2, 3 and 4 and place them underneath each other vertically.
    Create another page and create 4 more. Go to 'Web Properties' > 'Link' drop down the box 'Link to Anchor' and choose 1. Repeat with the remaining and test. Each corresponding rectangle will shoot to the top of the page. That's how I did it in the example I attached above.
    Happy New Year to all.

    @Chris - you can link and open a Layer on from a call from another page with some simple code and a bit of structure thrown together.

    Here is a simple demo file: JS - Open Anchored Layer on Page Load.xar

    Add the following to Website > HTML Code (body):

    <script>
    var anchor = window.location.hash;
    if (anchor) {
    anchor = anchor.split('#')[1];
    xr_v1(document.getElementById(anchor).parentNode.p arentNode);
    }
    </script>

    The code has to fire after the page has loaded. It check the web address and if the address has an anchor, it tries to open the Layer with the same name.

    In my index page, I have three pop-up Layers (Popup, Sage, Elephant) - add any of your own or even another page altogether.
    The index page has three simple buttons to open their called Layer. Add another for your layer on the MouseOff/Over layer.
    Each Layer must have an object with a Name="layer" - lowercase of the Layer name. If your new Layer is Archibald then an object on Archibald is Named archibald. [Quick Test: where is the Name on the Elephant layer?]

    I have a calling page (Page 2) but the links can be on any page anywhere whatsoever other than the page the layer is on.
    Each link is set to the relative URL name of the page that holds the anchor, together with a hash and the anchor Name. If you wanted to open the Archibald Layer on the index page, you would use - link to Web or Email address: index.htm#archibald.

    I have included a Close link on each Layer as an anchored call is not really clicking the button so Xara needs to be told explicitly to close the Layer. I used "popup:close".

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

  3. #23

    Default Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Happy New Year to all.

    @Chris - you can link and open a Layer on from a call from another page with some simple code and a bit of structure thrown together.

    Here is a simple demo file: JS - Open Anchored Layer on Page Load.xar

    Add the following to Website > HTML Code (body):

    <script>
    var anchor = window.location.hash;
    if (anchor) {
    anchor = anchor.split('#')[1];
    xr_v1(document.getElementById(anchor).parentNode.p arentNode);
    }
    </script>

    The code has to fire after the page has loaded. It check the web address and if the address has an anchor, it tries to open the Layer with the same name.

    In my index page, I have three pop-up Layers (Popup, Sage, Elephant) - add any of your own or even another page altogether.
    The index page has three simple buttons to open their called Layer. Add another for your layer on the MouseOff/Over layer.
    Each Layer must have an object with a Name="layer" - lowercase of the Layer name. If your new Layer is Archibald then an object on Archibald is Named archibald. [Quick Test: where is the Name on the Elephant layer?]

    I have a calling page (Page 2) but the links can be on any page anywhere whatsoever other than the page the layer is on.
    Each link is set to the relative URL name of the page that holds the anchor, together with a hash and the anchor Name. If you wanted to open the Archibald Layer on the index page, you would use - link to Web or Email address: index.htm#archibald.

    I have included a Close link on each Layer as an anchored call is not really clicking the button so Xara needs to be told explicitly to close the Layer. I used "popup:close".

    Acorn
    Thanks for the help Acorn.. At least i now know it`s possible to link to a pop up from another page. Thanks guys for all the help, now i can get stuck into implementing what i have learned here and add it into my project. Cheers.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    Question: How is the 'pubands' layer on the 'album' page accessed?
    It's a left over from plan B. Originally it replaced the alphabet on the left and was accessed via a sticky button, but the pop-up has to be sticky too, which stopped the links working. Then there was the problem of automatically closing...clicking a link made the pop-up close rather than trigger the link and removing the auto-close meant having to physically close it, which was cumbersome, so I abandoned the approach.

    I like to chip in because, as koshed said earlier, learning is best done by doing. I hadn't attempted anything similar to this project and wanted to try. Also, holidays, no work to preoccupy my mind and the devil finds work for idle hands.

    Acorn. I understood the first and last line, the bit in-between is some form of Klingon. But I know where to paste it and it may make sense to me when I use it. I'm going to presume line 5 should read ...parentNode and not ...p arentNode but who knows, the black arts are a mystery to me.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    9,085

    Info Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    It's a left over from plan B. Originally it replaced the alphabet on the left and was accessed via a sticky button, but the pop-up has to be sticky too, which stopped the links working. Then there was the problem of automatically closing...clicking a link made the pop-up close rather than trigger the link and removing the auto-close meant having to physically close it, which was cumbersome, so I abandoned the approach.

    I like to chip in because, as koshed said earlier, learning is best done by doing. I hadn't attempted anything similar to this project and wanted to try. Also, holidays, no work to preoccupy my mind and the devil finds work for idle hands.

    Acorn. I understood the first and last line, the bit in-between is some form of Klingon. But I know where to paste it and it may make sense to me when I use it. I'm going to presume line 5 should read ...parentNode and not ...p arentNode but who knows, the black arts are a mystery to me.
    Good spot Chris, the Forum software has a tendency to add spurious spaces.

    This is the working code to copy:
    Code:
    <script>
    var anchor = window.location.hash;
    if (anchor) {
      anchor = anchor.split('#')[1];
      xr_v1(document.getElementById(anchor).parentNode.parentNode);
      }
    </script>
    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    You could also add 2 menus to swap Album and Artist without going to the Home page. I've also conveniently forgotten you originally had a genre section

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	part2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	123070

  7. #27

    Default Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    Hey guys it`s been a few days and i`ve been working on the music collection project that i started at the end of last year. I have changed the design and added some things from my first design and i have been messing around with the design as i go and i have been deleting stuff as i go, stuff that either looked pretty awful or just didn`t work the way i wanted them to (jPlayer and Playlist).
    So this version is now V2 of the project. I may change everything as i go along but for now this is the design i`m going for..
    I may also change back to having separate pages again as i think the Artists page will get overwhelmed with the amount of pop ups that will be on the page.

    Thanks to all you guys that have replied to this post and gave suggestions and work arounds, it really helped a lot.
    So if anyone is interested or just wants to check out what i have done then feel free to download the attachment and have a look. Maybe someone might have a different suggestion to do a certain thing or change something. Just post a reply and let me know.

    Ok so it seems that my .web file is to large for the forum at 27MB lol so i`ll just attach a few screenshots instead.
    All of the anchors work to switch to the different letters of the alphabet on the page. The images also pop up to give information on the artist. Clicking on an album name brings up the main pop up for the album. All the cover art images pop up and the video playlist is embeded to different videos on youtube. I embeded 3-8 videos into the one video placeholder (Just 1)
    Clicking on a track title under the embeded video will change to that video etc.. I also made a little pop out menu on the right side to change to the different pages that i might have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Main page.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	123107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artists page.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	123108  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pop up image.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	123109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pop up cover image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	123110  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pop out menu.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	123111  

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    It's a complex project. I doff my hat to you sir.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I Doff My Hat.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	123112

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    18,655

    Default Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    Koshed, For this type of site my personal choice would be to create the most of the content within Google Spreadsheets. The big problem with using Pop-Up layers is that although unseen the content is still loaded as the page loads, so this can become very slow on loading.

    HERE's an example of my Google Sheets method. (Only the top 4 CD's have links)

    P.S.
    Ok so it seems that my .web file is to large for the forum at
    You can always upload your web file to Dropbox or similar & supply a link on your post
    Egg

    Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16GB Ram + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive
    Xara Designer Pro X 16

  10. #30

    Default Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

    Hi Egg Bramhill. The Google Spreadsheets was an idea i contemplated at the start of the project but i wasn`t sure how to add it into an actual pop-up layer, from the samples i saw online it seemed that you couldn`t really get a full spreadsheet on the pop-up without scroll bars down the side of the sheet which wasn`t what i was looking for at the time so i bypassed that idea, but from what you have shown me here it is possible. Although i might look into it again as i like what you have done with the design.
    The other thing as you said is the slow loading times with so many pop-ups on one page. At the minute i have all the A & B artists added on one main page and previewing the page in Xara Web Designer takes forever for it to load up (I might make more pages to try and cut down on the pop-ups on the main page and help with load times as well). That is the main reason i posted this question on the forum to see if there was a way to cut down on all the pop-ups. From the answers i have gotten i have taken a few ideas from each answer and it looks like i may do the same with your idea if you don`t mind.
    As for posting on Dropbox i may just do that now....... Ok so here is what i have gotten so far if anyone wants to see how my project is going. Dropbox link to Music Catalogue V2. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/is46te65wk...%20V2.web?dl=0

    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Koshed, For this type of site my personal choice would be to create the most of the content within Google Spreadsheets. The big problem with using Pop-Up layers is that although unseen the content is still loaded as the page loads, so this can become very slow on loading.

    HERE's an example of my Google Sheets method. (Only the top 4 CD's have links)

    P.S.

    You can always upload your web file to Dropbox or similar & supply a link on your post

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •