Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: linking a page to a sticky object on another page..???

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you have so many pop-ups? Maybe if you can describe what you are doing on the page we can suggest another way of accomplishing what you are doing. For example, if your pop-ups are small and about the same size as the trigger object, you can place all your pop-ups on the MouseOver layer and just link both MouseOff and MouseOver to # (the pound sign). See attached. But if you feel at liberty to share more details of your site there might be other solutions.
    The reason for so many pop ups is that it`s the letters of the alphabet A-Z plus a main page, but 2 letters are not being used (X & Y) 25 pages in total. I`m not going to be publishing the site, i will be storing it on an external drive or usb thumb drive as html.
    The main concept is my music collection. I have 736 albums and i just wanted to do a database, but my database is going to teach me how to make a web site as well and figure out problems along the way and maybe come across easier ways to do things.

At the start of my first build i was going to link an artist in the A section (Airbourne) to another page that gave information about the album (eg: Album Name, Year, Genre, Track Listing, Track Length & Album Length). But i decided that was going to be far to many pages and it would overwhelm the whole project i wanted to do. The way i`m doing it now is to link an artist name (on the main INDEX page) to the A section page where all the pop ups are and then click on an album panel on the A section page so a pop up will appear with all the information in the pop up. Less pages but a lot more pop ups. But copy and paste saves me time redoing the pop up for each album..

And yes i know there are databases out there to do all that but i have already made myself a database in MS Access, but doing it this way in Web Designer gives me more of a visual style and i`m learning new things as i go. I have also found ways to do things i wouldn`t have thought about... And that is why i posted my question on the forum to see if it was possible to link a button or a panel from 1 page to a pop up on another page..

So that is what i am doing, if you want to see a few screen shots i can post them so you can see and maybe you might have a few suggestions to do certain things.. I hope i have described everything in a way that makes sense.. lol

Yeah screen shots would be great. I'm shutting down until tomorrow so Happy New Year and where there is a will there's a wake or something like that.

OK so here are a few screen shots... First screenshot is the main index page where all the artists are down the left hand side of the page. The main part of the page is were the album panels are, all 736 of them...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Index Page.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	123056
    What i have done from there is if i click on an artist name on the left hand side or an album panel it will bring me to the Artists A page. Which is the second image... Following me so far..?!

In the second image is the Artist A page were all the artists albums will be stored. There are 50 albums on this page...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Section (50 albums on page).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	123057

Now that we are on this page i can click on the different artist panels and then the sticky pop up layer will appear with all the album information on it. Shown on the 3rd image.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pop up after clicking on an album panel.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	123058
    Just ignore the `Artist` section in the pop up panel as that is for all the compilation albums i have with multiple artists..
    This is just a rough design i will be adjusting it as i go and as i find easier ways to do things etc..

Happy New Year to you as well and anyone else who may be reading this. have a great 2019.

Your screenshots look very neat and tidy and I'm now debating whether to throw my (failed) attempt at the project into the pot. I went the all visual, forget practical approach. I also took another approach to linking/displaying. I used Named Objects and Link to Anchor as a way of navigating, which also got complicated really quickly as well. Maybe you've taken on the quantum physics of websites, no easy solution at this time.

I know this a learning exercise for you and you're fully aware any solution without a database is bound to complicated, so in the spirit of free education for the masses, here's my different (but no simpler) approach.

Aaaaaand I don't know how to attach the .web file.

Now I've seen your screenshots and we aren't concerned with load times because it's being run form USB/HDD...

A page called Artist with a photo grid of all artists starting with 'A'. Name the grid artistA. Another grid with artists starting with B, name the grid artistB and so on and so on.
    A separate page called Album. Repeat the above with album titles and name the grids albumA, albumB etc.
    If each picture in Artist had a list of their albums next to their picture, you could use the 'Pop-Up Photo' option in 'Web Properties > Image' to make the thumbnail readable. Same applies to a track list for each album.
    I now make a huge assumption and say there is an easy way of using a single photo in a photo grid to Link to Anchor otherwise I've just wasted your time.

You have an understanding of Access, think of a Named Object as the Primary Key in Access.

Is it worth scrapping what you have and starting again? Good grief, no! But this is about an exchange of ideas and methods which may be of use in the future.

Ok, worked out how to add attachments (under the Advanced section).

I've sent the original one I made to firey pits and went down the photo grid route...which followed it's predecessor as I couldn't work out how to make a photo pop-out and be a link at the same time. So here is v3.

Can't wait to go back to work so I can relax
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Now I've seen your screenshots and we aren't concerned with load times because it's being run form USB/HDD...

A page called Artist with a photo grid of all artists starting with 'A'. Name the grid artistA. Another grid with artists starting with B, name the grid artistB and so on and so on.
    A separate page called Album. Repeat the above with album titles and name the grids albumA, albumB etc.
    If each picture in Artist had a list of their albums next to their picture, you could use the 'Pop-Up Photo' option in 'Web Properties > Image' to make the thumbnail readable. Same applies to a track list for each album.
    I now make a huge assumption and say there is an easy way of using a single photo in a photo grid to Link to Anchor otherwise I've just wasted your time.

You have an understanding of Access, think of a Named Object as the Primary Key in Access.

Is it worth scrapping what you have and starting again? Good grief, no! But this is about an exchange of ideas and methods which may be of use in the future.
    Great idea Chris i think i might just steal some of your ideas and implement it into my design as i never even thought of what you have suggested. It would certainly cut down on the amount of pages from 25 to 3 (maybe even 2 if i just put everything onto the artist page) , which to me seems a lot easier to do and a lot less hassle. I can still use the panels that are in my design but instead of having album name, artist name and year in the panel i could put the album names list to the right of the picture and then do a pop up image for each.. Hmmm
    You have certainly given me much to think about that`s for sure.. And i don`t mind starting over again if it saves me time and cuts down on pages used.. Thanks Chris.
    I`ll certainly let you know how everything has worked out and post a sample of what i have gotten as i progress..
    I still wish there was a way of linking an object or text from 1 page to another page. That would be great.

You CAN link to an object in another page, but not a pop-up on another page.

Create 4 or 5 rectangles and name them 1, 2, 3 and 4 and place them underneath each other vertically.
    Create another page and create 4 more. Go to 'Web Properties' > 'Link' drop down the box 'Link to Anchor' and choose 1. Repeat with the remaining and test. Each corresponding rectangle will shoot to the top of the page. That's how I did it in the example I attached above.

Looking really good, Chris. I've not often seen a new member coming in so supportive of others so quickly, so kudos.

Question: How is the 'pubands' layer on the 'album' page accessed?