Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

Hello

Please excuse the basic question but...

...how can I fill a shape with diagonal lines?

Background
    I am trying to prepare some engineering drawings, using Xara Designer Pro X10, and I need to fill various shapes with diagonal cross-hatch lines.

hanks

J

Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

On Designer Pro X16, there are diagonal fill patterns under the fill gallery. Have a look under "Two color shading". I am pretty sure these should also be in X10 - look specifically for crossh2 onwards.

Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

Vector or bitmap?

I would create a tiling repeating pattern then apply it as a fill.

I have attached a bitmap, 300dpi that you can set to Repeating Tile, copy then Paste Attributes.

Once you have applied the fill you can make it larger or smaller using the Fill Tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cross hatch bitmap.png 
Views:	5267 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	123027  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Hello
    Please excuse the basic question but...
    ...how can I fill a shape with diagonal lines?

Background
    I am trying to prepare some engineering drawings, using Xara Designer Pro X10, and I need to fill various shapes with diagonal cross-hatch lines.
    hanks
    J
    I would give the shapes a Flat, repeating 45° Fill with (0.75, 1) Profile. Clone, change the Fill to -45°and add a 50% Flat transparency.

There is a Crossh1, two-colour shading texture available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cross-hatching.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	123029

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I would give the shapes a Flat, repeating 45° Fill with (0.75, 1) Profile. Clone, change the Fill to -45°and add a 50% Flat transparency.

There is a Crossh1, two-colour shading texture available.

Name:	Cross-hatching.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	123029

Acorn
    I like that answer Acorn. I have been experimenting with the fills from the fill gallery but they are bitmaps and I think your method is much better and controllable.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Another option...

Name:	lines_background.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	123030

Marco
    Marco.

Thumbs up Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

Hi Shiphen,

I made you a set of grid lines and then a grid of individual 'diamond' shapes; done in a CAD program so they are all vector.
    Hope this helps. Happy Holidays.

(XDProX12 file and zipped ai file)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Marco D View Post
    Another option...

Name:	lines_background.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	123030

Marco
    Marco, great minds!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

draw a line - set your duplication parameters and duplicate as necessary; vary the parameters on the fly if required - group and clipview afterwards to shape

PS - you can of course duplicate groups of lines too... and rotate first
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    draw a line - set your duplication parameters and duplicate as necessary; vary the parameters on the fly if required - group and clipview afterwards to shape...
    I like this option because the distance between each hatched line can be defined consistently.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022