Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    307

    Default How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    Hello

    Please excuse the basic question but...

    ...how can I fill a shape with diagonal lines?


    Background
    I am trying to prepare some engineering drawings, using Xara Designer Pro X10, and I need to fill various shapes with diagonal cross-hatch lines.

    hanks

    J

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    On Designer Pro X16, there are diagonal fill patterns under the fill gallery. Have a look under "Two color shading". I am pretty sure these should also be in X10 - look specifically for crossh2 onwards.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Placitas, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    35,820

    Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    Vector or bitmap?

    I would create a tiling repeating pattern then apply it as a fill.

    I have attached a bitmap, 300dpi that you can set to Repeating Tile, copy then Paste Attributes.

    Once you have applied the fill you can make it larger or smaller using the Fill Tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cross hatch bitmap.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	123027  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gary W. Priester
    Mr. Moderator Emeritus Dude
    , Sir

    gwpriester.com | Custom-Stereograms.com | eyeTricks on Facebook






  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    8,672

    Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Hello
    Please excuse the basic question but...
    ...how can I fill a shape with diagonal lines?

    Background
    I am trying to prepare some engineering drawings, using Xara Designer Pro X10, and I need to fill various shapes with diagonal cross-hatch lines.
    hanks
    J
    I would give the shapes a Flat, repeating 45° Fill with (0.75, 1) Profile. Clone, change the Fill to -45°and add a 50% Flat transparency.

    There is a Crossh1, two-colour shading texture available.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cross-hatching.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	123029

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    StPeters, MO USA
    Posts
    9,115

    Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I would give the shapes a Flat, repeating 45° Fill with (0.75, 1) Profile. Clone, change the Fill to -45°and add a 50% Flat transparency.

    There is a Crossh1, two-colour shading texture available.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cross-hatching.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	123029

    Acorn
    I like that answer Acorn. I have been experimenting with the fills from the fill gallery but they are bitmaps and I think your method is much better and controllable.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

    Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    Another option...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lines_background.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	123030

    Marco
    Marco.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA, USA
    Posts
    815

    Thumbs up Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    Hi Shiphen,

    I made you a set of grid lines and then a grid of individual 'diamond' shapes; done in a CAD program so they are all vector.
    Hope this helps. Happy Holidays.

    (XDProX12 file and zipped ai file)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Fred

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    8,672

    Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco D View Post
    Another option...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lines_background.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	123030

    Marco
    Marco, great minds!

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,088

    Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    draw a line - set your duplication parameters and duplicate as necessary; vary the parameters on the fly if required - group and clipview afterwards to shape

    PS - you can of course duplicate groups of lines too... and rotate first
    -------------------------------

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: How can I fill a shape with diagonal lines? (i.e. cross-hatching lines)

    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    draw a line - set your duplication parameters and duplicate as necessary; vary the parameters on the fly if required - group and clipview afterwards to shape...
    I like this option because the distance between each hatched line can be defined consistently.
    Jono (Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 16.0.0.55306, Renewal due: 04 June 2019)

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •