Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to use the Website M hosting coupon for extension of service

Earlier this year when I renewed the Update Service, it came with a coupon for M Hosting. It would only be good from one year from the renewal of the Update Service and had to be used before the end of 2018, if I recall correctly. This information was published somewhere, but was not in the email that I received with the coupon. Of course, I complained in this forum that the coupon should be good for one year from the M hosting renewal date, not the Xara DPX renewal date.

As per the last 2 years, my M Hosting needed to be renewed in January and, once again, there was no way to apply the coupon on-line to the extension of the M Hosting service, and once again I raised a ticket (this time through Magix Support) requesting the application of my coupon to the account. Of course, I did this on Christmas Eve, knowing that no one would be working for a few days. I received what I guess was an automated reply with a detailed listing including screen shots as to how to cancel the contract. I replied that I wanted to do the opposite. Today, first day back at work for Magix and Xara, I presume, I received an email that the coupon had been applied, extending my M hosting by 1 full year. Wow!

So, for anyone having a similar situation, simply raise a ticket indicating what you want and provide the coupon code, and it shall be done. However, for anyone who has not applied their coupon and does not already have M Hosting but is considering it, you may want to check the expiration date of the coupon.

My fears were unfounded. Thank you Magix and Xara.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Default Re: How to use the Website M hosting coupon for extension of service

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I did a Google search for Website M Hosting site:xara.com

https://help.xara.com/article/63-whe...th-domain-name

Hi Gary,

My problem for extending M Hosting was resolved using Support.

There is no problem getting a new M Hosting package by applying the coupon, as per your link. The problem is using a coupon to extend the M Hosting service when it comes up for renewal. If you try to do so on line, the site tells you that you already have M Hosting and you can go no further. Hence, my ticket and the instructions for anyone facing a similar situation.

Has anyone found another way to do this?
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

I had applied my voucher early yesterday as it was valid only to the end of the year.

My email implied I would get the choice of a nice domain. All I got was a 2GB workspace under my old domain.
    Why would anyone extend this at £1.99/m after the coupon expires?

A URL I don't see beating back business and the hosting of static sites. No "Wow!" to be had.
    I can buy a new domain and host for free under my current provider and knock up any number of WP or Xara sites far cheaper.
    What am I missing?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

My advice is get a different web host. There are plenty out there who provide good professional service at a reasonable price. And register or transfer your domain name to the new web hosting company. I won't be popular for saying this, but Magix is not really providing a professional service. Their focus is in different areas.

Acorn and Gary,

I have XDPX and upgraded (renewed) each year. Each year I got a voucher for M Hosting and used it. So, if I keep on upgrading XDPX and getting a coupon with it, I may as well use the coupon rather than go elsewhere, pay, and not use my coupon. I am not going to get a second domain name, or I would have to pay for the first one. If I don't use the coupon, I would have to pay for renewal of the M hosting, which would be dumb. Yes, if I didn't have a coupon and had to pay, I would consider going elsewhere; but I have a coupon. Yes, I would go elsewhere if I needed good professional service, but I don't.

With Xara.hosting, I get the domain name, and as many sites or subsites as I can get in the 2GB, using my username.xara.hosting/whatever, included in the price of my renewed XDPX. I use the domain name for my wife's site, which is static and is not intended to get much traffic. I use the myname.xara.hosting/whatever, for playing around but also to put up quick and dirty websites for family and friends to access my videos or see slideshows, without having to direct them to YT or Vimeo.

The "Wow" factor was for the quick service from Magix/Xara that I wasn't expecting during the holiday season. Most people here seem to like bashing Support for poor service, so when they do it right, it's only fair to give them credit, no?

The main objective of my post was really just to tell people how to apply the coupon to an existing M hosting account, since I could find no other way. The secondary objective was to correct the misinformation about the coupon only working for 1 year from the renewal of XDPX, rather than 1 year from applying the coupon, the actual case. And, a little thank you to Magix/Xara for their unanticipated quick service. It was not my intention to start a polemic on M Hosting.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Fair enough.

John, that is fair that Magix Support gets due praise.

It is a shame that your coupon cannot append to the current end date though or align to your Xara Update Service cover.
    as it does neither, I view it as another marketing twist.
    Consequently, I applied my coupon just to ensure I can maximise my coverage. Others will have been caught out, like you.

I was expressing a viewpoint that probably does affect those who use Xara in a fuller professional capacity.
    If I could trade in my voucher for a genuine £23.88 off the upgrade cost then I would be much the happier.

For those who want to spread their wings, read https://www.techradar.com/news/best-...sites-of-2018; some of these even throw in email accounts.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

No, no, no. It worked perfectly for me. Magix applied my coupon to the end date of the current M hosting for 1 full year from that date, some time in January, even though the coupon was obtained in July.

My worry back in July, I believe, was when we saw the advert or something from Xara indicating that the coupon end date would be 1 year from the renewal or payment date for XDPX. I complained because my Xara renewal and my web hosting are 6 months apart and I thought that I would not get a full year appended. It turns out I was wrong. I got the full year from January, exactly as I hoped, not from July when I renewed XDPX.

The reason that they are out of sync is because it took me 6 months the first time to come up with a domain name or use. Thus, I used the first coupon 6 months from the date of renewing/upgrading XDPX, which was in July and came with the coupon.

I agree, if the XDPX renewal price was lower by the value of the coupon, then I may have moved my domain name elsewhere. Those who don't need or want to use M hosting are slightly penalized. But then, Xara sells web hosting, so they want you to take theirs, which, I presume, is the point of giving out the coupon. Once in, some users may upgrade to the more expensive L or XL packages or Xara Cloud.

Thanks for the link to the best of the free hosting sites. Most interesting. However, you need to have a domain name and there is a yearly registration fee, is there not? The Xara M hosting includes the annual domain registration fee. Xara has no database and no email accounts. Xara and Magix should look at the competition a little closer.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

John, yes there is a cost for the domain registration but you get to choose it. They can be as cheap as £5/y.

Acorn