Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Trouble moving text boxes

I know I am not brand new to the program, but I am not understanding something very basic.

If I select a text box I created using the selector tool, I am unable to figure out how to freely drag the whole thing to a new position on a page.
    I often cut and paste objects from other pages and try to move them around, but the directions don't work for moving objects and I don't know why. If I use the arrows on the keyboard there is a "nudge" that basically goes nowhere or moves barely at all.

If I click and select a box (of text let's say) and hold down the left mouse button, the selection goes away instead of creating a four way drag symbol. If I hold down Ctrl or Shift or both sometimes red lines appear or a four way tool appears but it still doesn't move. If I use the text tool and right click the position says Fixed, but none of the other choices make a difference. It is taking me forever to position objects on a page.

This is with Web Designer Premium 12

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

Default Re: Trouble moving text boxes

Quote Originally Posted by craftech View Post
    I know I am not brand new to the program, but I am not understanding something very basic.
    If I select a text box I created using the selector tool, I am unable to figure out how to freely drag the whole thing to a new position on a page.
    I often cut and paste objects from other pages and try to move them around, but the directions don't work for moving objects and I don't know why. If I use the arrows on the keyboard there is a "nudge" that basically goes nowhere or moves barely at all.
    If I click and select a box (of text let's say) and hold down the left mouse button, the selection goes away instead of creating a four way drag symbol. If I hold down Ctrl or Shift or both sometimes red lines appear or a four way tool appears but it still doesn't move. If I use the text tool and right click the position says Fixed, but none of the other choices make a difference. It is taking me forever to position objects on a page.
    This is with Web Designer Premium 12
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks, John
    It is supposed to work like this. Left click and hold to select your text line, column or area. Eight square black box control points should appear along with a NESW pointer or a magnet if Snap to Objects is on. Simply drag to a new location. The text should
    just move for a line, have a green horizontal line at the top of a column and for an area, it has a green box with a red dashed one left in the original place. Releasing the mouse drops the text to its current location, still selected.

If Snap to Objects is off no red dashes.

If the Live Drag is off, the column and area moves the red dashes instead until the mouse is released. Perversely, the text line moves everything with it underlined as a red dash. This bit is a Xara bug.

If none of this is working, you have the possibility of a clash with the mouse driver; update it.
    More likely, you need to run Xara as Administrator he once to ensure all DLLs are connected correctly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It is supposed to work like this. Left click and hold to select your text line, column or area. Eight square black box control points should appear along with a NESW pointer or a magnet if Snap to Objects is on. Simply drag to a new location. The text should
    just move for a line, have a green horizontal line at the top of a column and for an area, it has a green box with a red dashed one left in the original place. Releasing the mouse drops the text to its current location, still selected.

If Snap to Objects is off no red dashes.

If the Live Drag is off, the column and area moves the red dashes instead until the mouse is released. Perversely, the text line moves everything with it underlined as a red dash. This bit is a Xara bug.

If none of this is working, you have the possibility of a clash with the mouse driver; update it.
    More likely, you need to run Xara as Administrator he once to ensure all DLLs are connected correctly.

Acorn
    Thanks for the fast reply Acorn (as always).

I ran the program as an administrator. If I click to select the text box the control points appear. If I hold the left click the control points disappear (as before). If I try it a few times I finally get the magnet and it moves. If I turn off Snap to Objects and repeat the same procedure it works as you said. So it involves several attempts.

There is now only one remaining problem. It will only go up so far on the page and not any further. What would be preventing me dragging the box up further?

Thanks,

John

EDIT: I think I figured it out. The text box above it was set to Push with a bottom margin of 60. I changed that to 0 and I was able to move the one under it higher.

John, borrow another mouse and try with that.
    You may be amazed.

In the meantime, zoom out the page and move the text.
    It might not stick.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You were right. I had to remove Push for the object above it.

Regards,

John