Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Identifying Fonts

Web Designer Premium v16.
    I have used a non standard font (Bookman Old Style) somewhere on the site. I'd be happy to change it...if I could find the slippery little devil. Is there a way of searching for it? I remember a Fonts Gallery in Designer Pro, is there something similar?

Default Re: Identifying Fonts

Welcome to TalkGraphics Chris

Not that I am aware of. (Lovely font, Bookman Old Style by the way).

What is worse I have found is often you change a font but the font definition remains in the space after the words so even if you highlight the word you may miss the formatted space.

I am going to move this to Dear Xara which is where we add bugs and feature requests.

Thanks for the answer. I found the text line by manually clicking each one until I found it. I also called a friend who has Designer Pro, which does indeed have a Fonts Gallery in the obvious place...the Gallery. However, it seems that that doesn't 'find' the font in a document either. In fact (after only a cursory glance) it appears to basically replicate the 'Used Fonts' in 'Font' drop down menu.

Yes, Bookman is a nice, stylish font. It was in the logo section so I simply converted it to a bitmap. I could have left it as it's only 71kb and published it with the site, but I'm not sure if publishing would work under all browsers/OS's

In Designer Pro X you can find fonts in the Name Gallery.

Fonts used appear in the Name Gallery and when you select the font instances of the font on the page are highlighted.

If you use Styles (always an afterthought with me), you can just modify the style and it will change globally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Name Gallery.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	123022  

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Web Designer Premium v16.
    I have used a non standard font (Bookman Old Style) somewhere on the site. I'd be happy to change it...if I could find the slippery little devil. Is there a way of searching for it? I remember a Fonts Gallery in Designer Pro, is there something similar?
    Chris, have a read through https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...054#post589054.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Being able to click the font name and have it highlighted on the page would have been extremely helpful in this instance. However, I can clearly understand there has to be a difference between Standard, Premium and Pro in any software. If we bump every feature up to Pro, there would be no Standard or Premium and no variation in price. We consumers can't have our cake and eat it too, or so my Mum taught me.

Acorn: Thanks for the tips on finding the hidden letter or blank line of a non standard font. In my particular case it was the largest line of text on the page with a red glow shadow! It was the logo that I thought I had converted to bitmap...I hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Acorn: Thanks for the tips on finding the hidden letter or blank line of a non standard font. In my particular case it was the largest line of text on the page with a red glow shadow! It was the logo that I thought I had converted to bitmap...I hadn't.
    I would keep the logo as Bookman Old Style as it is a Google Web Font and so will render in all modern browsers without any difficulty. It should appear faster on the page, make the page faster and not have jaggies. It will aid accessibility for those with visual difficulties.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You're right, it IS a web font. This leads to another question, why was it flagged as non standard? Which leads on to - what does non standard actually mean?

Done as suggested and changed back to the font itself, you got me with 'load faster'. I know we're talking fractions of seconds, but faster is faster and it all adds up.

You also put my mind at ease over web fonts and different browsers. It makes complete sense that web fonts are exactly what they appear to be, fonts for the web, but I have this little voice that that always says "well yeah...buuut"

I think Xara flags any font that is not one of the standard web fonts at appear at the very top of the menu drop down.

Thee are web-safe fonts that are standard across all operating systems and platforms.These are therefore built into the browsers on the platform with recourse to any other on-line asset.
    If these are not used, the collective term might be "non-standard".
    We are talking about Arial, Helvetica, Times & TNR, Courier & C New, Verdana, Georgia, Palatino, Garamond, ...
    If not available the browser picks the next best thing.
    Not so goo for your finely-tuned website.

Web Fonts to the rescue.
    These are "installed" into your web page on the fly with a small bit of code in the header.
    Basically, this is a CSS font-family expression and the code is just a link to the web font.

Acorn