Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This is another one of those things that probably can't be done in other "big-name" vector packages. I believe Xara's help files documents don't mention this method either.

Draw three separate lines. Using the Selector tool, shift-select all of the lines. Now choose the Shape Editor tool, and marquee (or shift-select) a node from each line. Now using your mouse, position it over one of the nodes and drag. Notice that ALL THE SELECTED NODES move simultaneously even though they belong to separate curves. The arrow keys on the keyboard can also be used to move the nodes. Note, previous versions of Xara could do this using the arrow keys, but I believe X is the first version that the mouse can be used.

This method can be very useful when drawing schematic diagrams or in drawings where a series of lines must have their endpoints kept in particular alignment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is another one of those things that probably can't be done in other "big-name" vector packages. I believe Xara's help files documents don't mention this method either.

Draw three separate lines. Using the Selector tool, shift-select all of the lines. Now choose the Shape Editor tool, and marquee (or shift-select) a node from each line. Now using your mouse, position it over one of the nodes and drag. Notice that ALL THE SELECTED NODES move simultaneously even though they belong to separate curves. The arrow keys on the keyboard can also be used to move the nodes. Note, previous versions of Xara could do this using the arrow keys, but I believe X is the first version that the mouse can be used.

This method can be very useful when drawing schematic diagrams or in drawings where a series of lines must have their endpoints kept in particular alignment.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

John,

this is a killer! Glad you discovered it, it is a tremendous help and avoids tedious re-alignment hassle!

Thanks a lot!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

John

If you select several objects, squares, circles, (as long as they have been converted to editable shapes) and then select the Shape Editor Tool you can edit the individual or collective nodes.

And, yep, you're right, the other vector aps cannot do this.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

It looks like I can now do a Select All and move all the nodes of curves in my drawing to my hearts content without ever re-using my selector tool again ... well, almost never [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Great discovery using the shape editor tool on nodes of discrete paths!

I notice too that you can tab thru the nodes and make across-the-board changes as well...

Using the path tool to move entire object is a good idea when you're working with grids, as the select tool can't know exactly which point(s) you want to be aligned to the grid.

Select all the points in the object, then drag-and-drop from a point which is already on a grid spot. The rest of the object will move with it, stying aligned the way it was before.

If there is no point that alings directly with the grid, you can add a new point in a straight-line segment and move it to a grid spot, then select all points and drag the new point to move the object a number of grid squares. Afterward, delete the excess point.

(This is often quicker than going to the Page Options and setting the nudge distance, especially if you are moving the object a long way.)

It's gerat for X. But almost all other vector apps can do this: Adobe Illustrator in all versions (if you select some nodes with "direct" selector tool, Freehand (If you use selector tool with ALT key)and Canvas (select multiple vector objects and choose Edit from menu).
    But in any case this tip is very useful [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hello John,

As you know it is also possible to work on molds with shape editor. I have tried to move toghether several points of different molds.
    Here I have nine molds and I have moved simultaneously the corner nodes of each two or four adjacent molds.

Regards,

ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	multmold.gif 
Views:	223 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	19885  

Ivan, I had not even considered envelope editing. This is a VERY USEFUL method particularly for envelopes because it seems a person will be able to apply a more consistent "look" or relationship between the integrated envelopes. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet a lot of time can be saved useing your method.

Thank you for your investigation, John