Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puzzle Ring

Default Re: Puzzle Ring

Another thing you may or may not have observed. The patches for the overlays, can be rotated and duplicated around the center of the circles. Not sure about the ellipse though.

Info Re: Puzzle Ring

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Another thing you may or may not have observed. The patches for the overlays, can be rotated and duplicated around the center of the circles. Not sure about the ellipse though.
    Thanks Gary, I tried that too. I always look for symmetry to simplify my design and understanding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puzzle Ring - Exploded.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	122962

The opposites are identical for colours; the adjacents have Red and Blue flipped.

The hardest part was retaining the centre of rotation.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,
    tried to use subtract shapes (Circle 16cm - 12cm, Ellipses 22x9 - 18x5) instead of convert line to shape. Looks quite different for the ellipses.
    Used clones and opacity masks for the overlapping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opacityRings.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	122964  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    Hi Acorn,
    tried to use subtract shapes (Circle 16cm - 12cm, Ellipses 22x9 - 18x5) instead of convert line to shape. Looks quite different for the ellipses.
    Used clones and opacity masks for the overlapping.
    siran, think of the 2cm ring width made form 2cm ribbon placed flat.

It will stretch, tear or ruck; it can never be flat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ring Aestethics.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	122966

The top ring used a 2cm Line Width. Neither my inner nor outer edges are true ellipses, but it looks right.
    The bottom ring is your nested ellipses. You can see that you would have to play around a bit to make the inner approach what a 2cm Line Width offers.

I chose to sacrifice rigour for art in my design.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I fully agree that the result of Convert Line to Shape looks better than that of Subtract Shapes.