Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Pie Slices - a piece of cake

The Challenge is to create a 800px circle (cake) with 19 equal segments (slices).

Using Xara with no calculation and as simply and accurately as possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19-Sliced Pie.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	122908

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Pie Slices - a piece of cake

Make a circle, clone it and transform it to a 19 point star, drag the inner points of the star to the middle, convert it to editable shape, break the inner nodes, group, combine/intersect shapes.

Name:	slices.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	122910

Marco.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Marco D; 13 December 2018 at 01:09 AM.
    Marco.

Brilliant Marco!

OK. I know you said no calculations. And if that's the case you have your answer.

I would divide 360 by 19 which is 18.64 degrees. Clone a vertical line and rotate from the bottom of the line 18.64 degrees to produce a 1/19 slice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18-64.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	122912  

Info Re: Pie Slices - a piece of cake

Quote Originally Posted by Marco D View Post
    Make a circle, clone it and transform it to a 19 point star, drag the inner points of the star to the middle, convert it to editable shape, break the inner nodes, group, combine/intersect shapes.

Name:	slices.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	122910
    Marco.
    Well done Marco.

What I do is when I convert to Editable Shapes, I add a Line Width of 10mp and ensure the Star extends beyond the circle. Intersect All Shapes does the rest.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Haha! Good trick Marco!!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    OK. I know you said no calculations. And if that's the case you have your answer.
    I would divide 360 by 19 which is 18.64 degrees. Clone a vertical line and rotate from the bottom of the line 18.64 degrees to produce a 1/19 slice.
    Gary, thank you for presenting a more traditional approach.

The way I do this is to clone a semi-circle and rotate the required angle and Intersect to give one pie slice.

Your sum is a little wrong; it should be 18.947. Xara's input box will accept the 3 d.p.

Name:	A Slice of Pie.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	122915

Your method would be necessary for polygons over 99 sides.

Acorn

P.S. Major broadband so fighting through. I apologise if replies are terse.
    Last edited by Acorn; 13 December 2018 at 02:14 PM.

Nice trick; thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, it is impossible to divide a real cake into 19-20 people. LOL. We ordered a cake for my daughter's birthday this year. Indeed, it measured 2,5, and it was enough for 12 people. But really, it was very small, and it was challenging to cut it. So I divided it into squares. I thought that the next time I will order guests a set of customized [link removed]. So, each child will have this own, and it will be more convenient to share them - no one will whine that his piece is smaller and not more beautiful
    Last edited by Rik; 19 May 2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: no links are allowed for a number of posts, by new members

Hi GorsoSurthis,

I'm the admin at tg, and it's been brought to my attention that you're not paying attention to the rules of this forum, e.g. you are linking without the required number of posts, and you're not really following the spirit of this forum, which is to share. Your remarks, all five of the since you joined, are vague, that is, not to any educational point.

Would you care to respond?

Your post is over a week old; if you don't post again, I'll assume you're a spammer.

Regards,

Barbara B.
    Last edited by Acorn; 27 May 2021 at 01:06 PM.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com