Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Get url from a textfile

Hello,
    Is it possible to get the url-link in the web properties of an object from a text-file.
    On my local dashboard-page I have created a popup-menu to open different Gmail mailboxes.
    However, Google changes the ID-numbers of the mailboxes from time to time. So I have a textfile with the mailbox (username) and the Google ID-number (0 to 9) on one line.
    I wonder if it is possible to connect each item of my menu (each item has a web property) to one line of the textfile or if easier each item of the menu to one specific text-file with only one line containing the correct url.
    The url to use for the different gmail inboxes is always: "https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox" where the 0 (zero) can be 0 to 9.
    Frank

Default Re: Get url from a textfile

Quote Originally Posted by GK5 View Post
    Hello,
    Is it possible to get the url-link in the web properties of an object from a text-file.
    On my local dashboard-page I have created a popup-menu to open different Gmail mailboxes.
    However, Google changes the ID-numbers of the mailboxes from time to time. So I have a textfile with the mailbox (username) and the Google ID-number (0 to 9) on one line.
    I wonder if it is possible to connect each item of my menu (each item has a web property) to one line of the textfile or if easier each item of the menu to one specific text-file with only one line containing the correct url.
    The url to use for the different gmail inboxes is always: "https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox" where the 0 (zero) can be 0 to 9.
    Frank
    Frank, from what you have described, you will have a menu item and its its URL will have to change as Gmail changes the index to your mailboxes.

You should be able to create one or a number of JS files, with a variable relating to each mailbox (var gmail_green = 5; ), etc.
    The file would have to be published to your site.
    It would be loaded with a head line such as - <script src="index_htm_files/gmail.js"></script>
    Each url would have to be a JavaScript construct of form - javascript: window.location.href='https://mail.google.com/mail/u/' + gmail_green + '#inbox';

Any change of the data probably requires a page refresh or even clearing the local cache.

It probably could be done dynamically through Ajax calls but this requires a lot more coding.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

TO: Acorn
    Is it possible to give me an example of such a Javascipt since I don't known anything about Javascript.
    If I have an example I can start experimenting.
    Thanks

Info Re: Get url from a textfile

Rather than go to the bother of adding a separate JS file, for this demo, I put the JS variables into the Page Head directly.

I included an alert to demonstrate the resolution to the index numbers.

JS - Gmail Accounts.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you very much. I'm sure this will give me the the right solution.
    Frank

I've tried your example and that works fine when the JS is in the Xara File.
    I have now tried to change the concept and put the JS-file in index_htm_files which is easier for me for maintenance.
    However this is not working.

This is what I've done:

Header page properties:

<script src="index_htm_files/gmail.js">
    </script>

Object link properties:

javascript: alert(window.location.href='https://mail.google.com/mail/u/' + gmail_blue + '/#inbox');
    javascript: alert(window.location.href='https://mail.google.com/mail/u/' + gmail_green + '/#inbox');

gmail.js in index_htm_files:

<script
    var gmail_green = 5;
    var gmail_blue = 3;>
    </script>

I've put my Xara-testproject in a RAR-file but I could'nt find how to attach it.

Frank

I've tried your example and that works fine when the JS is in the Xara File.
    I have now tried to change the concept and put the JS-file in index_htm_files which is easier for me for maintenance.
    However this is not working.

This is what I've done:

Header page properties:

<script src="index_htm_files/gmail.js">
    </script>

Object link properties:

javascript: alert(window.location.href='https://mail.google.com/mail/u/' + gmail_blue + '/#inbox');
    javascript: alert(window.location.href='https://mail.google.com/mail/u/' + gmail_green + '/#inbox');

gmail.js in index_htm_files:

<script
    var gmail_green = 5;
    var gmail_blue = 3;>
    </script>

I've put my Xara-testproject in a RAR-file but I could'nt find how to attach it.

Frank
    Almost there Frank.

A referenced JS file does not need the SCRIPT tags as it knows it is JavaScript.
    The file is just:

var gmail_green = 5;
    var gmail_blue = 3;

It might still have worked if you had copied what I had used:
    <script>
    var gmail_green = 5;
    var gmail_blue = 3;
    </script> - the closing angle bracket was in the wrong place.

When you fin it all works, you can remove the alert() part of the Link:
    javascript: window.location.href='https://mail.google.com/mail/u/' + gmail_blue + '/#inbox';

Acorn

Thank you very much. This is working!
    Frank

Thank you very much. This is working!
    Frank
    Frank, I'm glad. Come back with more questions or an update.

Acorn