Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to export Art brushes as vector NOT bitmap?

I am trying to export a vector based hair brush I made. Whatever file format I choose many of the strokes are not exported into Illustrator as vector, but bitmap, which I DON'T want!! The brush I use are the same, only changed size and color.
    How on earth do I get it to export a vector brush out as pure vector.
    Would be SO happy if any of you can figure this out. I really need help on this one, please

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	122869

Default Re: How to export Art brushes as vector NOT bitmap?

without seeing the brush file I am guessing here:

is it an art brush, and does it have more than one vector shape in the brush ?

an art brush with more than one vector shape is rendered in xara with a bitmap overlay - xara will treat it as a vector [mostly] but illustrator will not
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, it is made of more than one vector shape (see image) Nothing fancy, simple lines in different tones....
    Can you tell me what format I have to export as for other vector programs to treat is as vector. I think I have tried many different methods. Tried to "convert to editable shape", "convert line to shape" etc. but nothing seems to work correct! Maybe there is a trick I don't know, please :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	122871

xara can only produce a true vector with one flat colour - so you are ok with one shape of flat colour, ok with two shapes or more if they are the same flat colour, but as soon as you use shapes with different colours, or a single shape with colour other than flat, xara can only render it as a bitmap overlay which other programs will not recognise as a vector

there is no way around this that I know of

if it's a single stroke you could try bitmap trace, but that is probably not going to be practical for lots of strokes
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Helle,

Have you tried turning you lines into shapes before creating the stroke?
    It is possible to have several colors.

One important aspect if you want to keep vectors is that your curves has to remain simple, if you have stretched segments between points it wond work.
    For example if you have tweaked the shape a lot with the warp tool it might be a good idea too simplify paths.

HTH

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by MarcT View Post
    Have you tried turning you lines into shapes before creating the stroke?
    that does seem to help
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have used flat colours, converted all lines to shape (that's where it goes wrong). I think I have tried almost every thing. Cannot make it work! I even tried to adjust Xara's "tune-ups" and changed the cashe and added more memory in hope that it would help. Nope...

Marc T: Have you tried turning you lines into shapes before creating the stroke?
    Ehh, that one I didn't understand, I am using the brush to get the stroke?

I think "handrawn" might be right - there's no way around this issue. It would have been SUCH a great feature for Xara users

If any of you want to give it a go I attach a test file of the brush used. Thanks for your input :-)

pick1_12_test.xar

Why not create the brush in Illustrator?

I wanted it to work in Xara so I wouldn't need to back and forth, or do you mean something else?

I use Xara only for vector. The Adobe pack for most other stuff. I just feel there are issues with Xara. When they make new functions in Xara, I feel as if they don't test it enough before releasing it.
    In earlier versions of Xara I had my own custom toolbar. It worked fine. Now in version Pro X11 whenever it crashes the custom toolbar is gone completely and cannot be recovered etc. It's really a shame because I work fast in Xara which IS a lot faster than Illustrator I think :-(

Hi, I'd trying out some thinks and find out, this is a bug in Xara.
    Try to convert Your drawing in shapes and You see the missbehaviour of this. No wonder that Illy don't import it well.
    See here.

https://www.franta-net.de/xara/index.html