Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Help creating revealing drop down navigation

Gary, Acorn, and Cmpan1. Thank you all for the insight. Very much appreciated.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Exclamation Re: Help creating revealing drop down navigation

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Nice how would submenus work with this? Would it get hairy if there are many more pages and subpages?
    behzad, yes it does get hairy. You end up with a hierarchy of layers if you want roll-overs:
    • MouseDown pop-up n
    • MouseOver pop-up n
    • Pop-up layer n
    • MouseDown pop-up 1
    • MouseOver pop-up 1
    • Pop-up layer 1
    • MouseDown
    • MouseOver
    • Static layer n
    • Static layer 2
    • MouseOff

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Talking Re: Help creating revealing drop down navigation

WOW very hairy

Though for drop down menus, a MouseDown layer is overkill and as Siran reminded me, a MouseDown layer will cause a nav bar not to work in Firefox without adding a script.

I did this demo a long time ago using layers. It demonstrates the power of building your own menus on layers. http://gwpriester.com/menu-test/services_2.html

Nice work Gary. I'm going to have to brush up on my layers.
    -Bill-
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Default Re: Help creating revealing drop down navigation - TRY IT THIS WAY! NO FRUSTRATION!

Cliff. The more I played with this the more I like it. Thank you from the dogs and cats with the Northeast SPCA. Appreciate it so much.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Default Re: Help creating revealing drop down navigation - TRY IT THIS WAY! NO FRUSTRATION!

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Cliff. The more I played with this the more I like it. Thank you from the dogs and cats with the Northeast SPCA. Appreciate it so much.
    more than welcome bwood... glad I could contribute...
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    Hi bwood... I think you're wasting time with Xara's drop-down menu capabilities. They're too limited, and frustrated me for the longest time... So much so that it prompted me to do menus and drop-downs differently.

BTW... what Xara lacks in one way... makes up for it with its amazing ability to work-around and create your own thing...

Here is how I do what (I believe) you want to accomplish... I over did it a bit, for demo purposes....

1. Link to online example

2. The Xara file so you can see some of the possibilities and how the layers are ordered. Attachment 122875

Hopes this helps you some...

Cliff
    Cliff. Just a newbie question. Im able to reproduce the drop down layer. I like this solution. The trouble I'm having is buttons. Your buttons are great. But my 'over' and 'off' states are not the same. So I'm really missing something there. I cant seem to simple change the look of a button, and make that reflected on another state. If I change the text on the button for example, it's not reflected on the 'down' state.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Cliff. Just a newbie question. Im able to reproduce the drop down layer. I like this solution. The trouble I'm having is buttons. Your buttons are great. But my 'over' and 'off' states are not the same. So I'm really missing something there. I cant seem to simple change the look of a button, and make that reflected on another state. If I change the text on the button for example, it's not reflected on the 'down' state.
    bwood... I think I'm gettin' ya... you want to change the 'look' of the button... either the 'off', or the 'over'.

First: As far as text is concerned... simply select the button... then select the 'text' tool and click on the button text to change it.... it WILL... reflect on the 'MouseOver' state.

Second: Button colors.... just select the button. Choose any color from the palette. When you do the 'Replace Color' window will appear... it will offer you a choice of the 'MouseOff' Color... the 'MouseOver' Color... and the 'Text Color'.... choose the one you wish. Simple...

And your terminology... "on the 'down' state"... there's no "down state" involved with this.

BTW... This will work on 'most' buttons.... for some you may have to 'show' the 'MouseOver' layer... then select the button box by holding down the Cntrol key to change the color.. then hide it again...

I know.... it is confusing... but that's XARA. A simple pop-up 'button options box' with all the possibilities would be nice.

This is an 'old' wysiwyg webbuilder... button/navbar dialog... but you get the point.... wouldn't it be nice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	122926
    Last edited by cmpan1; 16 December 2018 at 01:13 AM.
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Hi Cliff,

regarding the drop down menu in Xara I would like to ask you kindly the following:
    I am wrestling with that problem two months, a few hours daily indeed; I red all available forums, etc. I still dont know if it is possible to create (through layers or in any other way) the vertical collapsible/expandable menu in Xara - for desktop and/or for mobile site.
    Defacto I try to create the same menu as the Content Catalog in Xara Webdesigner Premium uses.
    Please is there any way to create such a menu or I have to forget it resp. use any other software for my website? Thank you very much.
    Danka