Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Help creating revealing drop down navigation

Good Morning everyone.
    I'm having trouble creating a drop down menu from a single button. I can create the nav buttons vertically no problem, but of course all the buttons for pages show. It's not a real drop down menu. I want viewers to click the 'menu' button then the drop down is revealed.
    I've scoured my manuals but I'm missing something somewhere.

Many Thanks for your help.
    -Bill-
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Help creating revealing drop down navigation

Bill, you are effectively creating a NavBar with only one button; the sub-menu choices are where you add your page links.

Import a Xara template for a NavBar and edit it.
    Untick Site Navigation Bar automatically links...
    In the Button and Menu pane delete all but the Home button.
    Click on the Home [+] sign to get to its sub-menu and add the detail and link for each page there.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Help creating revealing drop down navigation - TRY IT THIS WAY! NO FRUSTRATION!

Hi bwood... I think you're wasting time with Xara's drop-down menu capabilities. They're too limited, and frustrated me for the longest time... So much so that it prompted me to do menus and drop-downs differently.

BTW... what Xara lacks in one way... makes up for it with its amazing ability to work-around and create your own thing...

Here is how I do what (I believe) you want to accomplish... I over did it a bit, for demo purposes....

1. Link to online example

2. The Xara file so you can see some of the possibilities and how the layers are ordered. DROP-DOWN MENU SAMPLE.xar

Hopes this helps you some...

Cliff
    Last edited by cmpan1; 10 December 2018 at 04:12 PM.

Default Re: Help creating revealing drop down navigation - TRY IT THIS WAY! NO FRUSTRATION!

Cliff - I really like that. Perhaps a little more control than the Xara drop down. I just refuse to use a template for this job -- and I learn a lot more.

Thanks Acorn. The manual indicates to 'tick' the site navigation. I think that was the problem.

Now of course its changing how the drop down menu actually looks, without changing the original button. I want a clear 'no color' background in the drop down and can't see to get one. Sheesh.
    -Bill-
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

So I've got the navigation set up. But I want the navigation to go 'down' below the button. It's off to the side and vertical. I do want it vertical - but I'd rather not have it off to the right side. Must be a setting in 'edit navigation'

Thanks
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    So I've got the navigation set up. But I want the navigation to go 'down' below the button. It's off to the side and vertical. I do want it vertical - but I'd rather not have it off to the right side. Must be a setting in 'edit navigation'
    Thanks
    Bill, in the sub-menu set-up there is a horizontal offset input box.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Wink Re: Help creating revealing drop down navigation

Cliff - I really like that. Perhaps a little more control than the Xara drop down. I just refuse to use a template for this job -- and I learn a lot more.

So I've got the navigation set up. But I want the navigation to go 'down' below the button. It's off to the side and vertical. I do want it vertical - but I'd rather not have it off to the right side. Must be a setting in 'edit navigation'.

I want a clear 'no color' background in the drop down and can't see to get one. Sheesh.

Thanks
    bwood....

"perhaps a little more control" Really??? A thousand times more control. You must be missing something or just do not understand. Or I, just don't understand.

"refuse to use a template" Who used a template??? Where do you see a template???

"to go 'down' below the button" What am I missing? Are they not below the button?

"clear 'no color' background" Ok, back to the 'total' control' thing... Ok, no background. Easy...

Here's a look at your "below", "clear background".... and the position is placed... Wherever You Want It... (control)

http://mockupsites.xara.hosting/DROPDOWNBUTTONS/

I'm done with this one... that's all I got...
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

@cmpan1. I think Bill is wrestling with what Xara offers in its NavBars. Your approach is what I changed to when I realised the Xara NavBar approach was very limiting and your examples (especially the bounce effect on menu 2 is refreshing).

The problems I did find with it were of expansion into sub-sub-menus, rollover effects and mappings to smaller variants.
    The approach then gets bogged down into getting Layers correctly named and its upkeep becomes quite time-consuming.

In the end, I copped out an typically revert to a pure CSS approach.

Acorn

Cliff. The more I played with this the more I like it. Thank you from the dogs and cats with the Northeast SPCA. Appreciate it so much.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Cliff. The more I played with this the more I like it. Thank you from the dogs and cats with the Northeast SPCA. Appreciate it so much.
    more than welcome bwood... glad I could contribute...
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)