Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Position on Page

2 part question WDP 16:

Some objects, including text, will automatically stick to the bottom of a page. When the page is lengthened or shortened by dragging the page boundary the object remains relative to the page. The 'Auto-Fit to Page' section didn't appear to give any options that were applicable (but it did make my eyebrows raise when everything shrank, ctrl z ctrl z).

Part 1 - How does one make an object 'stick' to the bottom of the page (footer)?
    Part 2 - Why do some objects do this automatically and some don't (is it because I create some objects in a hidden zone and others I drag there later)?

Info Re: Position on Page

Chris

Part 1 - In the (Utilities > )Auto-fit to Page dialog, untick the Automatic checkbox. Next, with an object selected, pick the Vertical > Bottom radio button option. The selected object then keeps the same distance from the bottom when you change the page height.
    Part 2 - There are no hidden zones. You might have applied Push.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Position on Page

Part 1 - Yup, that certainly worked.
    Part 2 - Totally accept the no hidden zones, but Push was off with both objects (one a stretch full width rectangle, the other plain text)

I haven't played with the Auto-Fit before but I shall. I like to understand how things work as much as possible. In this case both objects had 'Auto-Fit All Objects' un-ticked and 'Selected Object(s) Options' was ticked for automatic, yet one was sticky, the other not. I did wonder if it was because the rectangle was Stretch Full Width. Now I know how to manually manipulate those settings (thank you) I'll play around and figure it out.

I would say that 90% of the time objects I place at the bottom of the page act as sticky footers automatically and I had just blindly accepted that that was normal, and objects that didn't was due to the fickle nature of the deities on planet Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Part 1 - Yup, that certainly worked.
    Part 2 - Totally accept the no hidden zones, but Push was off with both objects (one a stretch full width rectangle, the other plain text)

I haven't played with the Auto-Fit before but I shall. I like to understand how things work as much as possible. In this case both objects had 'Auto-Fit All Objects' un-ticked and 'Selected Object(s) Options' was ticked for automatic, yet one was sticky, the other not. I did wonder if it was because the rectangle was Stretch Full Width. Now I know how to manually manipulate those settings (thank you) I'll play around and figure it out.

I would say that 90% of the time objects I place at the bottom of the page act as sticky footers automatically and I had just blindly accepted that that was normal, and objects that didn't was due to the fickle nature of the deities on planet Xara.
    Chris, your guess is probably right. Including Stretch, Push and Auto-fit is going to cause some conflict or behaviour that is there just to confound us mortals.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I just created a blank page and threw on a mixture of shapes, text and photos and, of course, not one of them acted sticky. Where's that whiskey bottle?

The big thing is I now know where to go and how to manipulate said behaviour.