So I'm shopping around for hosting for my client who wants a website built with a shopping cart. I've never built a shopping cart with Xara, so I thought I could combine a Xara website and hook it up with links to a shopping cart that I would build with one of THEIR online builders, or wordpress. I chatted with someone at InMotion Hosting and here's the part of the conversation that confused me. (I'm not a tech person or a coder, so I'm easily confused.)

[Me] OK. Can I still build the rest of my site with Xara if I purchased Wordpress?

[Him] Probably not I don't have much experince with Xara since it has not been updated since 2008 for Linux an is mainly a Windows platform. So since we are a Linux only provide I am not sure how it will work on our Hosting Platform.

[Me] So I would build the whole site with your builder. (either Open Cart or WordPress) correct? Which plan would I need if I were to use Xara? Or...build most of my site with Xara?

[Him] I am not sure since we don't generally work with Xara. For WordPress or OpenCart our Power Plan is our recommend package for the hosting of website.

[Him] Which version of Xara do you currently use?

[Me] Web Designer 10 Premium. I usually build the website and upload files to the server.

[Him] This is a Windows Platform that would not work on our servers.

[Me] Also, When you say "PowerPlan", I don't see it listed. There's Wordpress, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Reseller Hosting and Business Hosting.

[Him.] https://www.inmotionhosting.com/business-hosting

[Him.] We have mutliple packages within each Plan.

[Him.] However the version of Xara you are using is a Windows Based system that would not work on our Platform.

[Me] Uhm, with Xara, I build it on my computer and upload the files. Are the files not compatible? I use them quite a bit on other hosting companies.

[Him.] For what I am reading it would not work on our Hosting Platform.

My question to the Xara community is, are hosting companies moving away from allowing use to build our websites and upload the files to the server? Are they making it so we can only use online builders and Wordpress? I've used XARA (It's AWESOME) for many websites and there's been no problem with hosting. Is InMotion Hosting unique? Or will there be more of this. Or...perhaps the person I chatted with didn't know enough to make sense?