Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puzzle Ring

Question Puzzle Ring

Here is a Challenge open to all - can you construct a vector design for this Puzzle Ring?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puzzle Ring.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	122933

To make it a little harder, my rings all have a 2pt White Line Width and the coloured widths are all 2cm.
    The Green ring is 16cm diameter.
    The other rings are just over 22 x 9 cm.

The sizes are mostly unimportant; I am looking for how the overlapping is addressed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Puzzle Ring

The basics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overlap.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	122934  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The basics
    Thank you Gary.

I think the ellipses are the tricky part. Could you make one for me?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

This work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rings.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	122940  

Here I am, a little late sorry...

Name:	puzzle_ring.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	122941
    Marco.

@Gary, the complexity of this puzzle is the number of overlaps each ring suffers - all have four overlaps from the other rings. Your solution only manages two.

I split my rings by cloning the uppermost ring and slicing it into two parts so there is only a single crossing.

Name:	Nesting Rings.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	122942

The shadowing and edging is extremely well handled; my design fluffed the shadow until I realised I could group the final design before adding the shadow. I've always said you're a bit shady.
    Could you describe how each ring has exactly a 2 cm banding?

@Marco, your solution seems to be perfectly symmetrical and a match for mine. Well done.
    Can you answer the same question?

Acorn

If you make your ring or ellipse using a line first then converting the line to shape, the width of the circle/ellipse is uniform throughout.

Question Re: Puzzle Ring

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If you make your ring or ellipse using a line first then converting the line to shape, the width of the circle/ellipse is uniform throughout.
    Thank you Gary, that's what I was hoping to hear. Convert Line to Shape is one of those essential tools you don't know you have until you fall over it.

Sadly, I don't think it exists in Web Designer so does anyone have an alternative approach?

Acorn

@Marco, your solution seems to be perfectly symmetrical and a match for mine. Well done.

Acorn[/QUOTE]

I've done exactly what you both said, first I've created the ellipses and the circle with a line thickness of 2cm and then converted them to shape. After that, centered all (after rotating the two ellipses 45° and -45° respectively) and CTRL-5 to intersect. Done that I've united again the pieces so to build your design an finished adding the line width required.
    Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco D View Post
    Acorn
    I've done exactly what you both said, first I've created the ellipses and the circle with a line thickness of 2cm and then converted them to shape. After that, centered all (after rotating the two ellipses 45° and -45° respectively) and CTRL-5 to intersect. Done that I've united again the pieces so to build your design an finished adding the line width required.[/QUOTE]Thank you Marco, this is exactly what I did.

I have found that if you do not have the rotation of the shapes are zero or so other corner angle, you get extra jaggies.
    In this case, I got round it by cloning the cutout circle rotating it 180° (as it is rotationally symmetrical) and Adding Shapes.

Full marks.

Acorn