Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PHP version 7.2 will no longer receive updates. Can I move to a higher release?

Hi, Help Please PHP version 7.2 will no longer receive updates. Can I move to a higher release?

I run a number of XARA-derived websites. My provider, Ionis, has sent me an email advising me to update to the latest version of PHP (to keep the current PHP7.2 incurs a significant additional cost).

Do XARA derived websites use PHP? If so what release and if I need to how do I upgrade it.

My experience is limited to the mechanics of creating an XDP Pro website and then filling in the various parameters to publish it. I know nothing about PHP except that is a programming program for dynamic websites (some years ago I did try to understand it but as I publish very simple websites I decided not to focus on this program).

I upgraded PHP on the IONIS website in the past and that action had no noticeable effect on my websites.

Apparently I run PHP 7.2 and later releases 7.3, 7.4, 8.0 are now available.

All this just confuses me.

Kind regards
    Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU

Default Re: PHP version 7.2 will no longer receive updates. Can I move to a higher release?

Martin,

Unless you have specifically added any third party widgets/ code that is PHP dependent this is a non-issue. You can login to your IONOS account, pick the PHP option and upgrade it to v7.4 as recommended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IONOS PHP Settings.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	128793

Click on the PHP version, pick v7.4 (the recommended option), then check your website(s) work as expected. Should you have an issue, you could revert back and have until the end of 2021 to sort it out.

I use IONOS without any problems for all my Xara hosting.

Entirely unrelated: it is also worth checking with them that you are on the best hosting package for your requirements.

Gary

Default Re: PHP version 7.2 will no longer receive updates. Can I move to a higher release?

Many thanks Gary,

A very reassuring reply. I have looked on the Matrix/Xara site and they confirm that XPD does not use PHP.

I will do as you suggest and just update to PHP 7.4.

I just thought that confirmation by the good folks on Talkgraphics would make me much happier.

I will call them, as the last time I did this I managed to get a better deal plus a substantial discretionary reduction for one year. Thank you for reminding me!

Kind regards
    Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU