Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    When you think about it, isn't it better to have variants that work with a specific size range and over which you have design control than one or two variants that arbitrarily adjust and restructure to fit each browser variation?
    I don't understand what you mean exactly. With html, css, and javascript there's complete control; after all, this is precisely what Xara uses in a round-about way.

What Xara does not do is support mobile-first. And for the sake of those who read this post and don't know, I will explain.

Not every phone has the speed and power of a $1000 mobile phone, and most mobile phones are not as powerful as most desktops, or even laptops. Furthermore, most stationary (non-mobile) devices have faster dedicated internet connections available to them. Mobile devices can use Wi-Fi to access these same connections, but a hardwired connection is usually faster than a Wi-Fi connection.

The speed problem boils down to size, heat, and battery life. But speed aside, there is a main reason for mobile-first. There are simply more portable devices accessing websites than there are stationary devices; so, hence, mobile-first.

Mobile data is used to connect mobile devices to the internet and the idea is to cater to the majority -- mobile devices are the majority!

Mobile-first dictates three main things that Xara does not seem to address:

1. The website is designed from the smallest screen size first and expanded to the larger variants later, i.e. Desktop is the final variant and Xara obviously has this backwards.

2. The code (html, css, javascript) downloaded from individual websites is optimized for mobile, and this code is then later altered and appended for bigger viewports/variants. This assures that mobile code will download completely and be viewable immediately without first downloading a bunch of code for desktops that can be bulky and time-consuming for mobile devices; and the code then modified variant-by-variant until you get to mobile.

3. In a perfect world, each device will only see what it needs to render the web page in question; and mobile devices with slower processors, less memory, limited data, and slower connections are given top priority, because they are the majority and need all the help they can get in some cases.

I have not gotten into caching, picture sizes and formats, etc. in order to keep this post simple (to some degree).

Xara and Google have very different views on what is important. Hopefully Xara will make some much-needed changes. SEO ranking depends on it, as do happy customers like me; and right now I am not happy and stuck at version X 11 until Xara has an ah-ha mindset-change moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoEdgedSword View Post
    What Xara does not do is support mobile-first.
    What's stopping you from designing mobile-first with Xara?

Yes, you can start designing a site with the mobile page. However, with Xara's one .htm file per page for all variants, all assets are downloaded in one go. With slower connections, this will mean longer loading times.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    What's stopping you from designing mobile-first with Xara?
    Nothing now, as it seems there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. There was a new update June 18th-ish.

New features include a ‘fit to width’ option for websites (scales the page between variants).

I can rewrite the xara code to address its mobile-first shortcomings.

I upgraded yesterday and I am back-on-board!

Version 16 is 64 bit only. 15 can install both 32 and 64.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Current version is 16 and it still uses variants to allow for WYSIWYG. So, it's adaptive but not responsive.
    I checked for updates and it tells me that my version is the most current. However it shows to be 15.1.0.53605. So how do I get to version 16?

Thanks, as always.

Curly In KC

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyInKC View Post
    I checked for updates and it tells me that my version is the most current. However it shows to be 15.1.0.53605. So how do I get to version 16?
    Thanks, as always.
    Curly In KC
    Try https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/download/.

If you no longer have access to the Update Service, complain to Xara that you were not advised that v16.0 was available.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Try https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/download/.

If you no longer have access to the Update Service, complain to Xara that you were not advised that v16.0 was available.

Acorn
    Got the latest version. Thanks!

Curly

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyInKC View Post
    Got the latest version. Thanks!
    Curly
    Well done Curly and thanks for advising back.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat