Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Designer Pro X16 - save error... again

Well, I did e-mail Magix.
    I did get a couple of replies.
    But, they have not got back to me for ages now and they certainly have not fixed the problem.

I get this error many times and with various different files.

Is Magix actually an organisation with staff who can help or is it just a selling shop?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	save error.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	124908  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Designer Pro X16 - save error... again

are you running windows in VM on a mac - I seem to remember that you are/were

if so that could have something to do with it...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    are you running windows in VM on a mac - I seem to remember that you are/were

if so that could have something to do with it...
    Hi, Steve.

No. I haven't used my Mac for a long time.
    I've been using a Windows Laptop for at about 3 years now.

And, I don't have any problems saving with XDP11 to the same location. NONE AT ALL.
    The file is not open in any other programme. In fact, no other programme is/was running.
    I've never had this problem with any other Xara version.

This problem has started since I purchased and installed X16.

well we went round the houses last time...

if this happened to me, then by now I would be installing the program on another computer; if the problem does not persist there is an issue with your current computer, if it does persist, start looking for the common ground

but I have a lot of kit...

you could run memory checks and drive checks on your computer if you haven't already - it does not say which file is 'in use' and if it is a system file it could just be a disk issue

heck you could image out your current windows from the laptop to external drive, clean install windows install xara and see if it still does it then...

all that will all take time... but so does waiting for Godot Magix....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Some of the suggestions you make, might be worth consideration.

But, as I keep saying, I don't get this error or any other errors with XDP11.
    XDP 11 is saving to the same location.

I opened the file in DP16, make a minor change to a colour. Try to save, and I get the error.
    I opened the same file in XDP11, made a minor change to a colour. Try to save, and I get NO ERRORS.

So, how can it have anything to do with anything else, apart from DP16?

'when you have eliminated all the likely possibilities, then what remains, however unlikely, must be the answer' [or words to that effect I have not read conan doyle for a while]

yes but what constitutes 'DP16' .. well, it's an installation completely seperate from that of DP11, with all the interfacing that it needs which will be different up to a point, and something somewhere is wrong

the forum is not chocka with people suffering from this issue, so it stands to reason that it is a conflict within your existing system, whether because the installation is corrupt, or because something new in DP16 is conflicting with something else.... something is not setup right...

need to look at these thing holistically - it is obviously a DP16 problem, but that does not necessarily mean DP16 is causing it...

EDIT -something completely off the cuff - do you use any third party security software - xara has a habit of getting into the guts of the OS and it may just be it needs permissions in the said security suite - these are not always granted automatically when programs are installed afterwards
    Nothing lasts forever...

If you just shut down (click the red X close button), then reopen, does the issue still occur?

And what happens if you copy the content and paste it into a new page and then save?

These should not be things a user should have to do, but it is not a perfect world. As we all know.

And I suppose you could post the offending page here and see if any others can replicate the error.

The problem is, that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't/

I have tried closing DP16, re-opening it and trying to 'Save' then. Again, sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

If I copy and paste the content into a new file, then there will NEVER be a problem. Because, then the only way you can save the file is 'Save as'.
    And, as I've previously said, there is no problem with 'Save as'.

The problem is with 'Save'.

As for security programmes?
    I've had Avast anti-virus and Malwarebytes on this Laptop since day one. Before I even installed XDP11.

I have just opened DP16, made a small change to the same file, clicked 'Save', and it saved without any problems.
    And the problem has happened with different files.

I can't remember but I am sure you have done the right click and run as admin thing

if I had to guess then, and without seeing your computer that is all it is, your v16 install is either corrupt, or something new in ver 16 is conflicting with another program which really could be anything but Av and autobackups are up at the top aof the list...

Nothing lasts forever...