Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Thank you thank you thank you! .....

    Oops... just found a problem: When I add a picture and use Repel Text Under to wrap the text around the picture, the picture doesn't adjust to compensate for larger type - some of the type is disappearing under the photos.

    ......
    np, glad to help¿ ..well, almost. Anyway, I've already bit off on X16 and I'm not going back; it's just not my way of doing business. I would say that you've uncovered a bug and could you please report it.

    As an aside, there are a few things that you might try, but one being an adjustable margin/buffer using percentage of VH. Honestly, although I am trying to sound competent, I don't know what I am talking about. Perhaps another idea being to possibly add a border around the image?

    I believe that if the image grows as the text grows, then there shouldn't be a problem. I just hope that it spawns some ideas. I also purchased Bootstrap Studio, so right now my head is spinning just a little bit.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    Xara has an AddThis Widget in the content catalog.

    I followed their instructions and Inserted it - 3 times - and still can't find any trace of it: No widget visible on the page, on code added to the Body, and no AddThis buttons when I publish.

    No problems like that with Wordpress.

    Only problem is: I have 50 Xara website, and only 8 Wordpress sites. And I have way too many other things on my To-do list to try to convert 50 Xara sites to Wordpress.

    Actually, I already have separate buttons on the sites for Facebook and Pineterest and our YouTube channel. They stay put. And they are probably all we need.

    Ed

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,022

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Xara has an AddThis Widget in the content catalog.
    I followed their instructions and Inserted it - 3 times - and still can't find any trace of it: No widget visible on the page, on code added to the Body, and no AddThis buttons when I publish.
    Ed, all I can suggest is that in following "Configure your button and click on Get Your Button.", you are not copying the code into your Clipboard. Highlight the button code instead and Copy it and then press the Insert button.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ed, all I can suggest is that in following "Configure your button and click on Get Your Button.", you are not copying the code into your Clipboard. Highlight the button code instead and Copy it and then press the Insert button.

    Acorn
    Thanks Acorn, I did all that. I made sure I copied the code each time I tried it. The way it looks, the only option is to put the buttons on the side and not at the bottom, and then they cover up part of my content. So I'll wait and see what happens.

    Appreciate your help as always.

    Ed

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    After a month of experience with Xara's new Fit-to-width" option, I have mixed feelings.

    Have you (anybody who uses the fit-to-width option) gotten any feedback from visitors?

    It is a little disconcerting to go to a website and suddenly without warning the page changes size.

    If I were a first-time-visitor, I think I'd exit immediately. Too many stories about people causing harm to your computer.

    If I were a regular visitor, I think it might get rather annoying. It is getting more annoying to me every time I log on to one of our websites and the page suddenly j-j-jumps to a different size.

    So... I am switching them back to just the 3 variants, and I am adding the Add This buttons back to the bottom of the pages (now that the Add This buttons know where the bottom of the page is).

    I guess I'll just slowly keep converting our sites over to Wordpress. I don't expect it to last forever - nothing does. In the last 18 years I've gone from Trellix to Cute Site Builder (Trellix by another name) to very brief encounters with a few I'd rather not remember to Xara and now to Wordpress.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    After a month of experience with Xara's new Fit-to-width" option, I have mixed feelings. Have you (anybody who uses the fit-to-width option) gotten any feedback from visitors?
    I have a number of sites running v16.2 'scale-to-fit-width'. I have found it works well with two variants, 480px & 1080px, with the maximum set to 1080px (same page width as the desktop variant). My website variants do not use (share with variants); the mobile variants are hand-crafted to work in that size; they are naturally slightly different to provide a better mobile experience. The desktop page width of 1080px scales well on most tablets provided you use reasonable font size on the desktop version.

    User feedback has been positive: Examples here: https://barnesbowling.org | https://omnodisplay.uk | https://yewhitehartgs.uk

    It would be worth trying out the option with just two variants.

    Gary

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,022

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    I have a number of sites running v16.2 'scale-to-fit-width'. I have found it works well with two variants, 480px & 1080px, with the maximum set to 1080px (same page width as the desktop variant). My website variants do not use (share with variants); the mobile variants are hand-crafted to work in that size; they are naturally slightly different to provide a better mobile experience. The desktop page width of 1080px scales well on most tablets provided you use reasonable font size on the desktop version.

    User feedback has been positive: Examples here: https://barnesbowling.org | https://omnodisplay.uk | https://yewhitehartgs.uk

    It would be worth trying out the option with just two variants.

    Gary
    Thanks Gary, I agree with your findings.

    Xara is suggesting that truly adaptive might be on the cards. Until then and if at all sooner, the Variant and Main ought to allow a mix of Conventional and Supersite.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    Hi Acorn,

    the Variant and Main ought to allow a mix of Conventional and Supersite
    I remember we had a conversation here about a short-term workaround where one could publish a Xara doc as a conventional website, and another separate Xara doc as a supersite, both to the same directory, with bidirectional links between the two.

    I posted this example in another thread http://myform.initiostar.co.uk. The original challenge was to overcome a pesky widget that did not want to operate across variants, but I have used the principal work-around for a Newsflash supersite working with a conventional website.

    The example here has a mobile variant for the conventional website (with scale-to-fit-width), but the supersite (in this case) is one size, but also uses scale-to-fit-width.

    Gary

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,022

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Hi Acorn,
    I remember we had a conversation here about a short-term workaround where one could publish a Xara doc as a conventional website, and another separate Xara doc as a supersite, both to the same directory, with bidirectional links between the two.
    I posted this example in another thread http://myform.initiostar.co.uk. The original challenge was to overcome a pesky widget that did not want to operate across variants, but I have used the principal work-around for a Newsflash supersite working with a conventional website.
    The example here has a mobile variant for the conventional website (with scale-to-fit-width), but the supersite (in this case) is one size, but also uses scale-to-fit-width.
    Gary
    All duly noted but Xara needs to be more proactive and make it work for all. I did all of this well before Xara ever dreamed of Variants and had Scale to Fit included.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: XDPX (current, v15, v12 & 11 (64-bit)), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7; lots of licences back through time (to CC's Artworks). If your Post identifies a Xara software fault, please raise it directly with Magix --> support2.magix.com.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,484

    Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

    I have been using these setting and works well. I do not use fit to screen etc... desktop 1130 px. Mobile 700 px.
    www.designfacet.com
    Owner/Creative Director at DesignFacet

    Xara Designer Pro



 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •