Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

I haven't been using Xara for a while now, having stuck to using Wordpress for my needs, but I now want to get back to HTML and so am looking at updating from v11 to the latest - 15 or X whatever the latest one is. However, I cannot see whether the new designer uses Viewport or whether it still uses variants, the blurb isn't really clear so I just want a definitive clarification of how Xara handles responsive websites before I pay for the upgrade.

Default Re: Is latest Web Designer 'properly' responsive?

Current version is 16 and it still uses variants to allow for WYSIWYG. So, it's adaptive but not responsive.

When you think about it, isn't it better to have variants that work with a specific size range and over which you have design control than one or two variants that arbitrarily adjust and restructure to fit each browser variation?

Many thanks for the replies. I can see what you say, it's just that having just come from WP and looking at many sites around these days, I really want to stick to 'responsive' so I was interested in whether Xara was doing the same.

Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    When you think about it, isn't it better to have variants that work with a specific size range and over which you have design control than one or two variants that arbitrarily adjust and restructure to fit each browser variation?
    Not when Google keeps complaining that your pages are too wide for mobile. I have 3 variant sizes: 320px, 480px, 960px. I am pretty sure that 320px is not too wide for any modern mobile device. But Google still complains. They also complain that I don't have a viewport... or something like that. Ed

Version 16 is 64 bit only. 15 can install both 32 and 64.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Current version is 16 and it still uses variants to allow for WYSIWYG. So, it's adaptive but not responsive.
    I checked for updates and it tells me that my version is the most current. However it shows to be 15.1.0.53605. So how do I get to version 16?

Thanks, as always.

Curly In KC

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyInKC View Post
    I checked for updates and it tells me that my version is the most current. However it shows to be 15.1.0.53605. So how do I get to version 16?
    Thanks, as always.
    Curly In KC
    Try https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/download/.

If you no longer have access to the Update Service, complain to Xara that you were not advised that v16.0 was available.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Try https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/download/.

If you no longer have access to the Update Service, complain to Xara that you were not advised that v16.0 was available.

Acorn
    Got the latest version. Thanks!

Curly

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyInKC View Post
    Got the latest version. Thanks!
    Curly
    Well done Curly and thanks for advising back.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat