Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default bug: adjusting text formatting options on navbars and softgrouping of texts

When you clone a piece of text and soft group the two objects, you can change the text of one and the other will change with it.
    It doesn't work if you change any of the following options:

• Superscript and Subscript
    • Tracking
    • Aspect ratio
    • Baseline Shift
    • All the various Text Capitalizations except "Toggle case", that one does work.

The same is true for Navigation bars, you have to manually go to the MouseOver layer and change it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bug soft grouped text and navbars.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	124936

Default Re: bug: adjusting text formatting options on navbars and softgrouping of texts

Know1, what you are seeing is how Xara has stitched together the basics for button management. When two texts are soft-grouped and have a greater than 50% overlap, a change of either results in a change to both.
    I would not want or expect cloned text to act as Live Text except when overlapping and this is the case.

Xara seemingly has done the minimum and failed to test for text styling as you have found.
    I have encountered a few niggles but reworked my design as your suggestion but I hadn't realised the coverage was that poor.

Thank you.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: bug: adjusting text formatting options on navbars and softgrouping of texts

The manual says this about Text Synchronization in soft groups:
    "This feature was added before support for LIVE COPIES was introduced and LIVE COPIES are much more flexible and powerful, so this feature is less useful than it used to be. But it’s still relied upon by many of the templates and elements [...]"

I just tested it and the Live Copies work correctly with these text formatting options, the only downside I can see (for me) is that I can't have a different color for one Live Copy to create a fake shadow like the example.

This is the malaise that come with Xara introducing new features with scant regard for the consequences and the prior tool that is made obsolescent.
    Most would think that replacing the soft-grouping capability with Live Copies would be the professional thing to but but Xara just fragments its products so that Live Copies can only be created in XDPX & XPDG but used in all.

As you advise Live Copies cannot be used in the same fashion as Soft Groups so we are stuck with two half-baked features.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat