Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Changing fonts on one variant and not affecting other variants

I have tried a number of things to make the font on my desktop web version one size and the font on the mobile variant a different size. However, every change I make to one - changes the other (regarding style, color, size). I had this problem before. The thread is here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ze-in-varients. The solution back then was to use the Text tool, highlight and change the text in one variant, then using the drop-down menu at the top, select "Update style in this variant". The problem is that in Web Designer Premium 16 (which I recently upgraded , that option to "Update style in this variant" seems to have been removed. There is an option now to "Update 'style name' in this variant only", but that isn't working at all. When I select that, it changes the text size in some of my other variants.

There must be a way to have differing text sizes across variants. That is a basic requirement, so I guess I must be missing something? I know this issue broke my heart the time I had it, I hope the fix is easier this time!

By the way, I don't want to "stop sharing" across variants, as that defeats the purpose of variants!

Many thanks

Default Re: Changing fonts on one variant and not affecting other variants

Have you made sure you did the following: In the Text Tool, select some text you want to change; before switching to the other variant, right-click and select 'Update <style name> in this variant'?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Have you made sure you did the following: In the Text Tool, select some text you want to change; before switching to the other variant, right-click and select 'Update <style name> in this variant'?
    Many thanks for your response.

There are three variants, so before changing Variant-3 text, I tried what I think you were suggesting: I selected the text in Variant-1 and Variant-2 and chose 'Update <style name> in this variant'.
    I then went to Variant-3 and changed the text size and it affected the other two Variants.

To clarify my first post, this is how I originally tried to do this:
    Select text in Variant-3.
    Update text size.
    While text is still selected after changing size, chose option 'Update <style name> in this variant'.
    Text is also changed in other two variants.

I also tried this:
    Chose option 'Update <style name> in this variant'.
    Update text size (it's still selected).
    Text is also changed in other two variant

I then tried something new:
    Chose option 'Create Style'.
    Update text size (it's still selected).
    While text is still selected after changing size, chose option 'Update <style name> in this variant'.
    New style is applied to all variants and size change affects all of them.

Thanks again

Something is off here. Can you post your .web file here so we can take a look?

Can't understand this issue either 3rdDegree, it works fine for me. One thing to check, are you running as Aministrator?

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hello Boy and Egg,

First off, thank you so much for your efforts to help. Very much appreciated. I replied to you both last night, but saw some message about my post needing to be approved. Might be because of the attempt to attach a large .web file!

Anyway, I think I figured it out.

I was changing bullet and number text and then clicking 'Update "Normal Text" in this variant'. The 'Update "Normal Text" in this variant' option doesn't work on number lists or bullet points. It gives a warning message, which I didn't understand as I didn't really under stand what the 'Update "Normal Text" in this variant' was trying to do.

Here's the correct process in case someone else comes across this.

In your new variant, you may have text in paragraphs, numbered lists or bullet lists using Style "Normal Text".
    If you want to change the attributes of all the text in that variant which use Style "Normal Text", select some text in an ordinary paragraph and change it (perhaps increase the size).
    While text is still selected, chose the style drop down and select the option 'Update "Normal Text" in this variant'.
    Everywhere in that variant, including paragraphs, numbered lists and bullets will change. But "Normal text" text in other variants will not change.

Thanks again.

Yes, bullet and number lists give that error message when you try to update the style. Glad you got it sorted.

Great. Thanks for the update 3rd.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host