Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default problem with "online content catalogue"

Hi,

in september last year I bought Xara Designer Pro X including a one year update service. This year is over now and I don't want to renew it.
    Today I started designer and wanted to open the online content catalogue like I did before several times (early this year). No content appears, but instead the browser opens and show the webpage for renewing the update-service. No dialog with all the nice content as it was before.

Some of the content I had downloaded last year but not all. Since I changed my installation of designer on a new dics, most of the content-files are gone. Xara itself works well.
    Where is the online catalogue? Is it only available with an active update-service? This should be a bad joke, if it is like this.

Please help me get back all the icons, templates and so on as it is described in the designer-help.

By the way: My Update-service started in September 2017 and ended on September 2018. Version 15 of designer was released at December 12th 2017. My Version ist still 12.8.1.50861. Does anybody have an idea, why the update from V12 to V15 didn't work?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Tom
    Have your fun NOW. Maybe tomorrow it's too late...
    Tom

..: Better natural stupidity than artificial intelligence! :..

Default Re: problem with "online content catalogue"

unfortunately the Online Content Catalogue is only accessible with a current uppdate service... xara call it an update service, but there have been precious few updates and the OCC part is actually a subscription because it stops if/when the paid period ends

you would have had to manually update from version 12 to version 15 by downloading and installing the new version - it may still work as it came out before your subscription ran out, but it won't get the OCC back for you, to do that you will need to renew
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you for your quick reply. I already suspected that.
    In any way, I'm very surprised, because Magix did advertising for the product with the variety of objects, photos, etc. Any dependency to a payment service or anything else was not mentioned. That's a strange approach.
    OK. I will contact Magix in Germany to get their point of view.
    Have your fun NOW. Maybe tomorrow it's too late...
    Tom

..: Better natural stupidity than artificial intelligence! :..

it's in the end user licence agreement that you agree to when you install - if you haven't actually read that you should find it on your system drive at:

..\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\12\license

License from Part D

Any online services included in the Software (M hosting, Xara Online Designer and the Online Content Catalog) will end as soon as the Update Service expires, unless the Update Service is extended beyond the initial 12-month period.
    perhaps it is not made absolutely clear that that means no access at all, not just no new stuff
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...