Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Text on a circle...

Is there any way to get an handle near the text applyed on a circle to move it around? If you apply the text to a curve you can get it easely but if you try the same way on a circle that chance is gone.
    Any suggestion?

Marco.

Default Re: Text on a circle...

Ctrl click on the circle to select just the circle then free rotate the circle and the text will follow. You may need to reposition the rotation bulls eye to the center of the circle.

One thing that works though it is a bit quirky is to convert the circle to editable shapes, select a control point with the Shape Tool and Break at Points. This in essence creates a path and then you can add text and drag it around by the little red control handle. But when you cross the open point things get weird.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Break at Points.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	122763  

Create your circle
    Select text tool and now here's the catch;drag from left to right till you see a thin red line >release cursor>
    Now type your text ,if it doesn't fit>extend the red line with the small indicator at the end of this line.
    Now select both circle and text>fit text to curve.
    There's also a similar small indicator at the start of the red line>drag this to change position on the circle

Marco, when you Fit Text to Curve when the shape is a Circle, it converts the Circle to Editable Shapes.
    The text is started at the Circle's first node.

As the shape does not have an end node, long text does not break into a new line on its return to the start but follows a rule I have not worked out.
    If you use the Tab or Space repeatedly at the front, the break never occurs.
    You could use this to fine tune your text's position.

This does not control the direction of the breaks and so if you needed to change the direction of a long text piece, you need to drag-rotation the complete Shape.

Also scaling the Shape (and Text) does not keep the same alignment.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Ctrl click on the circle to select just the circle then free rotate the circle and the text will follow. You may need to reposition the rotation bulls eye to the center of the circle.

One thing that works though it is a bit quirky is to convert the circle to editable shapes, select a control point with the Shape Tool and Break at Points. This in essence creates a path and then you can add text and drag it around by the little red control handle. But when you cross the open point things get weird.
    Rotating just the circle you cant see before where the text will end, it is one of the few cases in which Xara does't show in real time what's happening, it's a trial error approach. Cutting the circle is at the moment the best option, I hoped that I was missing something else...
    Another (of many) feature that will be nice to see in a next version of Xara Designer Pro.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco D View Post
    Rotating just the circle you cant see before where the text will end, it is one of the few cases in which Xara does't show in real time what's happening, it's a trial error approach. Cutting the circle is at the moment the best option, I hoped that I was missing something else...
    Another (of many) feature that will be nice to see in a next version of Xara Designer Pro.
    Thanks.
    Marco, have you got Live drag off? My circle with 100 characters rotates cleanly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Marco, when you Fit Text to Curve when the shape is a Circle, it converts the Circle to Editable Shapes.
    The text is started at the Circle's first node.

As the shape does not have an end node, long text does not break into a new line on its return to the start but follows a rule I have not worked out.
    If you use the Tab or Space repeatedly at the front, the break never occurs.
    You could use this to fine tune your text's position.

This does not control the direction of the breaks and so if you needed to change the direction of a long text piece, you need to drag-rotation the complete Shape.

Also scaling the Shape (and Text) does not keep the same alignment.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn, I hoped I was missing something.
    The way I rotate the text on a curve in a precise way today, is to create another circle with the same center but bigger enough to extend beyond the text height and than select everything and rotate until positioning the text where I want, but a handle near the text would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Marco D; 27 November 2018 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    Create your circle
    Select text tool and now here's the catch;drag from left to right till you see a thin red line >release cursor>
    Now type your text ,if it doesn't fit>extend the red line with the small indicator at the end of this line.
    Now select both circle and text>fit text to curve.
    There's also a similar small indicator at the start of the red line>drag this to change position on the circle
    This is the way I do it on an open curve, but with the circle it doesn't work. There is no handle to drag.