Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Post Page sizing according to widget activity.

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Here's the website I am working with... http://www.madaboutmolds.com/radiology/index.htm

On the main page, there is an Ecwid widget. (Shopping cart)

Is there a way to set a widget to fit better on a page? For example, the product page is usually shorter, but if a customer put a lot of items in the cart it runs off the bottom of the page. The entire store widget uses only one page.

But if you make the page longer there's so much white space under some of the products. My client doesn't want the white space below the widget, but I need it longer so some product pages and the cart page can grow longer or shorter without being cut off.

Some products are long and some are short and the widget needs to somehow grow longer and shorter with it.
    It doesn't respond to the changes in the Ecwid container.

Is there any way you can help me in fixing this?

Marjorie

Default Re: Page sizing according to widget activity.

Realistically, Xara is not designed to have variable height pages that change with the content.

You have the best solution available in Stores 2 & 3, namely a vertical scroll.
    To avoid even that scroll arrange the presentation as 4x3 (12 items a page) and use the paging aspect to handle larger numbers of products.

I would set up a pop-up page for the order details as some are too long to fit within your current set up.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you for your response. I get part of your solutions to work better. I made the page a bit longer and shortened the number of store item rows as well.
    Do you have any other suggestions? The website has been updated this morning.
    I appreciate any assistance you can provide, as this is a very important client.

Marjorie

Quote Originally Posted by marjorie View Post
    Thank you for your response. I get part of your solutions to work better. I made the page a bit longer and shortened the number of store item rows as well.
    Do you have any other suggestions? The website has been updated this morning.
    I appreciate any assistance you can provide, as this is a very important client.

Marjorie
    Marjorie, thank you for coming back and advising.

I do not have any Ecwid experience so I cannot advise what is possible with it.

Personally, I would go for a Page background width of 1440px to give yourself more space; the current arrangement won't work well on a smartphone so take the advantage of wider laptop and PC screens.

The only other suggestion is to consider putting the major product types as tabs and layers on a page. The view and search into Ecwid to be constrained to that product type.
    I don't know if Ecwid can support more than one widget per Xara page.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hello Acorn, Thanks for your advice.

I haven’t worked much with wide-screens, but I did make this wider to learn for future clients. Look better? I also added a mobile version as well. Maybe you could make sure I have it right?
    I'm still concerned that my client won't like the white space under the products in any of the store sample pages. WD support says they are working on a solution but haven’t come up with one in over 2 weeks.
    I'm tempted to use WordPress for this website, but I know absolutely nothing about it and don't want to waste time learned for one website, and then having to do updates in the future would always be a challenge.
    The product category tabs is something in Ecwid that is not easily changed, however I agree with you. At this point client is happy with that so I'm concentrating on these other things first.

Thank you for your help!

marjorie, it does look better and may be as far as you can go with Xara.
    Who is WD?

Acorn