Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara/Wordpress Combo

Hi

I have a sports website domain that hosts a blog/Q+A made in Wordpress. It only has three pages. Because Xara doesn't natively do blogs and Q+A pages I reluctantly used Wordpress. I now wish to do a major upgrade of this site, adding a number of new pages, but I have no desire to do it in Wordpress. I would like to add a Xara front end to the site so that the index page is in Xara not Wordpress. In other words, can Xara and Wordpress exist side by side on the same domain? Is it simply a case of putting all the wordpress files into a sub folder and publishing the Xara files to the root directory? The WordPress site uses C-Panel.

If it can be done can anyone point me to an article that explains the process?

Regards
    Kevin

Default Re: Xara/Wordpress Combo

Hi Kevin,

I've just PM'ed you re Blogger with a possible workaround. Perhaps this may be the way forward rather than a cms mix?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg

Thanks but the above web issue is a different blog and a different website to the one you have been advising me on. I am keen to upgrade cricketcoachingonline.com but don't want to lose the Wordpress blog/Q+A functionality that has been working flawlessly for some years if I change to a mainly Xara site.

Regards
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kkeys View Post
    Hi

I have a sports website domain that hosts a blog/Q+A made in Wordpress. It only has three pages. Because Xara doesn't natively do blogs and Q+A pages I reluctantly used Wordpress. I now wish to do a major upgrade of this site, adding a number of new pages, but I have no desire to do it in Wordpress. I would like to add a Xara front end to the site so that the index page is in Xara not Wordpress. In other words, can Xara and Wordpress exist side by side on the same domain? Is it simply a case of putting all the wordpress files into a sub folder and publishing the Xara files to the root directory? The WordPress site uses C-Panel.

If it can be done can anyone point me to an article that explains the process?

Regards
    Kevin
    Kevin, that is exactly what I did (do).

Create a sub-folder from your root folder (e.g., public_html/rootSite/subSiteWp/) to install WP into, where rootSite is your main site root location and subFolderWp is what you would call as the path to all your WordPress files.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I've tried it with a Joomla site loading into an Iframe and it works well Kevin.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Acorn

Thanks. Can I just copy all the files from the root folder to the new WP sub-folder or do I have to do a fresh install of WP? I ask because you used the word 'install' in your explanation.

Regards
    Kevin

Egg

Are you suggesting I scrap WP and transfer all my posts and Questions and Answers elsewhere? Apologies, but I am confused.

I see no way to incorporate the existing posts/Q+As (nearly 200 of them) into Xara.

I was anticipating moving the current WP installation to a sub-folder using cPanel, publishing the new Xara front end to the root folder and linking to the three pages in WP, rather than using the embed a website widget. I am not concerned about the different look of WP to a new Xara site. I could make the Xara site look like the current WP theme, or vice versa.

The other thought I had was to totally scrap WP and transfer the posts and Q+As to new blogs in Blogger (or another blogging platform). I would then have the choice of using iframes or just linking to the blogs.

Regards
    Kevin

I would install a new WP instance and then Export all form old to new: https://www.greengeeks.com/tutorials...og-to-another/.
    I am sure there are other approaches.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn

Thanks. I will start the re-design of the website today.

Regards
    Kevin

Hi kevin,
    I looked at your cricket coaching online website (which is great) and see that you seem to have a BLOG page on that Xara site that is made from cut and pasted articles but on that page you have links going to 2 other blogs for umpiring and coaching which are made on Blogger . This looks like a good system for me to use on my https://www.t2diabetesreversal.com.au/blog.htm website. Have you found it works well for you? I struggle with the tech side of things and definitely dont want to be moderating posts or dealing with answering at this stage but I want the articles to improve SEO. I keep being told to steer clear of Wordpress and it seems you have gone with Blogger over WP. I presume your blog pages link back to the xara site and help your SEO . Any comments or advice based on your experience would be most welcome.