Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Publish Doesn't Finish

I publish using the "changed only" option using FTP to a non-XARA site. Whenever I publish, the process goes to around 95% completion and hangs there. I eventually use the "Stop Upload" button to end the process.

Does this normally happen, or is there something wrong on my end?

Default Re: Publish Doesn't Finish

First thing I'd check is that you're running Xara under "Run as Administrator" . You only need to do this once.

I publish using the "changed only" option using FTP to a non-XARA site.
    Not understanding this at all?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If you haven't tried it yet, a third party ftp program like FileZilla might help (assuming you are using the Xara built in uploader).

Quote Originally Posted by bkjohns View Post
    If you haven't tried it yet, a third party ftp program like FileZilla might help (assuming you are using the Xara built in uploader).
    How would a 3rd party FTP program know which files to send?

Changing to "run as Administrator" didn't help. Also, even though I tell it to only update changed files, it does a bunch of processing anyhow and appears to be uploading unchanged files. E.g. I just tried it after not having changed any files, and it still does a lot of processing and updating of files.

Quote Originally Posted by harryd View Post
    How would a 3rd party FTP program know which files to send?
    In Filezilla (and most others I would guess) you can sort the files to upload by date/time and then choose only those most current to upload to the host. Xara doesn't change the date/time on files that it doesn't need to when published to html, so this approach works fine. FileZilla's file handling looks and functions very similar to Windows so it should be familiar to you. Again, most 3rd party ftp programs should be similar in function. (I use FZ, so that is why I mention it here)

Ok. got it, thanks
    Last edited by harryd; 29 November 2018 at 07:46 AM.

I have had this problem in the past, and most recently in October of this year when I installed the newest version. I dug out an e-mail exchange I had with Xara support in 2016, and the instructions below solved the problem for me. Involves modifying some timeouts in the registry. You need to be comfortable with REGEDIT, or get help from someone who is familiar. Messing this up can give you major headaches.

From Xara e-mail 11/23/16 5:00 am:

Can you try the below and see if that works?

Please follow these steps carefully and only make the advised changes. Making other changes to your registry could cause stability issues with your operating system;

1) Close all Xara programs. (Important! the changes won't be made or have any affect on the program if it is open, and values would be overwritten when you close it.)

2) Go to Start > Run (if you're using Windows Vista or 7 press the Windows key + R) and type regedit then click OK.

3) Navigate to the registry key for the version of program you are using:

64bit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\WebDesignerPremium x64\10
    \Options\FTPLibcURL
    _________

*** FOR VERSION 16 (10/24/18) THREE timeout values had to be set to 20000 (20 sec) ... one was only 6000, two were 10000

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\WebDesign erPremium x64\16\Options\FTPLibcURL

_________

32bit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\WebDesignerPremium \10\Options\FTPLibcURL

4) Change the value ConnectTimeout, LoginTimeout and ResponseTimeout to "20000" (this is the time in miliseconds, so this would be 20 seconds).

Please note this is for version 10. If you are using a different version you'll need to change the path accordingly.

5) Close the registry and open Xara

Does the problem now appear?

Kindest regards
    Customer Support
    Xara Group Ltd

Ticket Details
    Ticket ID: XSB-949-99068
    Department: Using a product
    Type: Issue
    Priority: High

Helpdesk: http://support.xara.com/index.php?/Contact

@Ken A, thank you for making TGers aware of these potential timing changes to 20 seconds.

For interest, I have collated my installation's timing values with full paths:

Registry Path ConnectTimeout ResponseTimeout LoginTimeout
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\WebDesign erPremium x64\10\Options\FTPLibcURL 20000 6000 No entry
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\WebDesign erPremium x64\11\Options\FTPLibcURL 6000 4000 6000
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\WebDesign erPremium x64\12\Options\FTPLibcURL 6000 4000 6000
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\WebDesign erPremium x64\15\Options\FTPLibcURL 6000 10000 10000
    omputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\10\Options\FTPLibcURL 20000 6000 No entry
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\11\Options\FTPLibcURL 6000 4000 6000
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\12\Options\FTPLibcURL 6000 10000 10000
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\15\Options\FTPLibcURL 6000 10000 10000
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\16\Options\FTPLibcURL 6000 10000 10000
    Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3849207156-275895353-1706274286-1000\...
    I am a bit unsettled that I found a duplicate value set , with the same entries in a second Registry location. I wouldn't know whether to change these as well.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @Ken A, thank you for making TGers aware of these potential timing changes to 20 seconds.

For interest, I have collated my installation's timing values with full paths:

I am a bit unsettled that I found a duplicate value set , with the same entries in a second Registry location. I wouldn't know whether to change these as well.

Acorn
    I found that the problem was related to one webpage. I solved it by deleting that page and replacing it with a new, but very similar version.