Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Color Palette Creation?

1- I created a set of Named Colors, I saved them (and the objects using the Named Colors into a specific layer which is hidden) in a file called Themecolorscheme.xar.

2- I imported Themecolorscheme.xar into a new document. The new document now has a palette of Named Colors displayed in the Color Gallery which I can use . **

However, that palette in the Color Gallery in not permanent. I would like to have it available in the Color Gallery for any new document I create. Is there an alternative method that I can name and store my own palatte and have it appear in the Color Gallery each time I open Xara? I see that Xara has a Palettes Folder with .jcw and .pal files, but I didn't find either as a filetype in the Xara's export UI.

** Alternatively, I could saved the file as a template and then do File > and choose that Template. But either method requires objects with the names colors applied to them to be in the document. ..... If the palette has a lot of name colors then more objects with named colors are required, which affects the file size of the .xar file.

Default Re: Color Palette Creation?

John - I have a miniature color palette of 85 named colors and 20 named shades of white to black that is part of my default template. So when I create a new page all of my named colors appear in the correct order at the bottom of the screen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palette.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	122654  

But the template still has to have 85 objects, each with one of the name colors stored in the template, correct?

[UPDATE] I guess this could be a feature request: create a bunch of Named Colors, select them in the Color Gallery, have an option-button in the Color Gallery to create and name/rename a user defined Color Palette. The next time Xara is opened that palette would appear in the Color Gallery.

I have been asking for a real palette of color for almost as long as I can remember. Xara's answer was that the colors on the current palette are primary colors and you can use the Color Editor to modify the colors. Make of that what you will.

You can have as many or as few named colors as you want.

Open this file in Xara and you will see the Xara palette to the right and unfortunately you need to scroll the palette to the left to see the start of my colors.

I have also requested a more functional palette but this too has never resulted in anything different.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Gary, I thought I'd give your pallet a try
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Anybody who can use it, be my guest.

Hi, I would go to options menu and deselect "delete unused color' before saving then save as Default template to keep the Palette
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Don't forget XPAL http://www.smokingun.co.uk/index/downloads a colour palette generator that creates format that can be imported into Xara.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

If the colors and subsequently brushes and the like would be a library saved with each xar file it would make each single xar file enormous.
    My personal way is to create a xar file(s) with my colors,brushes and even OCC shapes and save these as some sort of library file.
    Use the following option in the Utilities>Options>Backups: "Backup open files on program close and restore on program start"
    Now I can get the colors,brushes,... to be used (semi)globally by selecting them in their designated galleries.
    Last edited by haakoo; 16 November 2018 at 09:10 AM.

My option is to create a folder -- I named mine 'Xara Colors' -- for .xar color files (such as Gary's) and import it into the Local Designs gallery (click 'Disc designs....', browse to the folder, and click 'Add' or 'Update' if you have added a new file to ).

If you want to import a color palette (such as the .pal file suggested by Christine), place the file in 'C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\15' or similar location depending on the app and version number. You will have to restart the program for the palette to show in the Color Gallery.