Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Hyperlinks not working

I'm making a site for a client and I can't begin to understand why text hyperlinks I've created on the Home page are not working. In fact on the live site it appears the text has not been linked at all! Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Here is a link to the site: meritaatherlyengen.com As well, I'm attaching the working file. The non-working links can be found under the section called PenPoints of Light, each 'Keep Reading' as well as the bolded topic is hyperlinked... yet does not show it on the live site!

Thanks in advance for your help!

index.xar

Default Re: Hyperlinks not working

Quote Originally Posted by sorengen View Post
    I'm making a site for a client and I can't begin to understand why text hyperlinks I've created on the Home page are not working. In fact on the live site it appears the text has not been linked at all! Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Here is a link to the site: meritaatherlyengen.com As well, I'm attaching the working file. The non-working links can be found under the section called PenPoints of Light, each 'Keep Reading' as well as the bolded topic is hyperlinked... yet does not show it on the live site!
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    index.xar
    A quick check and all of the Keep Reading paragraphs have been grouped and are no longer text. Ungroup and Soft-group instead to get your links back.

Also, a small plea, never save your master design file as "index.xar". You will do it a second time and obliterate any original. Instead, give it a meaningful name like "Penpoints of Light.xar".

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    A quick check and all of the Keep Reading paragraphs have been grouped and are no longer text. Ungroup and Soft-group instead to get your links back.

Also, a small plea, never save your master design file as "index.xar". You will do it a second time and obliterate any original. Instead, give it a meaningful name like "Penpoints of Light.xar".

Acorn
    That's strange, because when I open the xar file the Keep Reading paragraphs are not grouped at all and they are still text. So there is no way for me to ungroup them. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the pointer on saving my 'master file'... however, it's not my master file. This is just a copy of the home page, saved in a different folder altogether... so shouldn't have any problems with the real master file. ;-)

I appreciate your response!

I looked at the file ... the status line says 2 grouped objects (soft group), as far as I'm aware, you can't UNGROUP as such, but use ARRANGE > REMOVE SOFT GROUP instead.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I can't explain the problem but even when you remove the soft grouping and Preview, if you click on the text and drag, you drag out an image.
    So somewhere Xara is changing your Text Columns to images.

I created a Text Area and pasted your text (and links) into that instead and it worked.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

ss-kalm, I did try removing the soft group before, but even that didn't change anything.

Acorn, I did what you recommended (copied text into a new text area) and that worked. Thank you for the work around! Still don't know what made it do that, or why.... but glad to be able to workaround it. Thanks!