Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Construction a Golden Rectangle

Great challenge Acorn. I learned from this one. Here is a comparison of my eyeballed one to your correct one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comparison  Golden Reftangle Simple vs correct construction.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	122692
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Info Re: Construction a Golden Rectangle

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Great challenge Acorn. I learned from this one. Here is a comparison of my eyeballed one to your correct one.

Name:	comparison  Golden Reftangle Simple vs correct construction.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	122692
    Larry, thank you for your approach.
    I have been trying to avoid math / maths and approximations but as an engineer myself, I appreciate there is always another way.
    Unfortunately, your sums have gone awry as the final rectangle has a side ratio of 1.79::1. We need 1.618::1.

Earlier, handrawn suggested 1.6::1 was good enough.

A similar construction to your could map out a ratio of 1.6.
    Thereafter just increase the width by 1% to achieve 1.616::1, accurate to 0.1%.

Name:	Approx GR.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	122694

My Yellow/Cyan blobs are a 3/5th scaled ruler.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Here there is another way...

Name:	golden rectangle.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	122695

Smile Re: Construction a Golden Rectangle

Quote Originally Posted by Marco D View Post
    Here there is another way...

Name:	golden rectangle.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	122695
    Marco, it is that.

Same construction really as Attachment 122666 where I dropped the Blue GR down out of the way and I used one Red square to your two ((1) & (2)). Both have the same underlying math / maths.

The point of these challenges is to discover Xara constructs that are useful to you.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Marco, it is that.

Same construction really as Attachment 122666 where I dropped the Blue GR down out of the way and I used one Red square to your two ((1) & (2)). Both have the same underlying math / maths.

The point of these challenges is to discover Xara constructs that are useful to you.

Acorn
    Yes the math is the same but this was an attempt to adress the snapping problem, you mentioned there.

Yes the math is the same but this was an attempt to adress the snapping problem, you mentioned there.
    Macro, thank you for the clarification.

I don't, however, see any snapping that stops on the top right corner.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    ... I don't, however, see any snapping that stops on the top right corner ...
    You don't need to snap that corner, you can use magnetic alignment. As far as I'm aware, the only snapping issue originally, was the centre of the bottom of your red square, which Marco has solved.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

While drawing the circle (radius creation option) you can snap from the corner of the first to the corner of the second rectangle.
    I thought that the problem in your construction was finding the center of the base of the square, but I now seen that you can easely snap there too, so it was already ok that way...

Marco.

... but I now seen that you can easily snap there too ...
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any way to snap to the centre of the base of the square - at least not accurately.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

If you draw the circle and then you move it, you can snap the center of the circle with the center of the square base. After that (selecting the circle tool and holding the shift key) you can resize the circle to hit the square corner. That done, the only thing to do is to resize the square clicking on the right side handle until you reach the snap point at the circle.

Marco.