Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Construction a Golden Rectangle

This Challenge allegedly has deep connections to art, geometry and our psyche.

The Golden Ratio is calculated to be 1.618::1.
    It describes a pattern that is found in sunflowers, playing cards, architecture and web design layout.

Here are two presentations of a Golden Rectangle where the sides are in Golden Ratio proportion:

Attachment 122576

Now it can be shown that the Golden Ratio is integral to the pentagon, where it is Diagonal Length::Edge Length:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phi Construction.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	122575
    It is therefore possible to construct the blue Golden Rectangle from this knowledge, as shown.

In this Challenge, I wish you to uncover a simpler construction of the Golden Rectangle.

Acorn

P.S. Phi (ɸ) is (√5 + 1) / 2 ≃ 1.6180339887498948482045868343656
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phi.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	122574  
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Construction a Golden Rectangle

first attachement not showing here... unless you have a deleted image broken link...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

well at least you spared us the fibonacci sequence

how accurate do you want it - 1.6 is usually ok for this lowly cartoonist, and since that is one:three-fifths makes it all a whole load easier... but I tend not to use it that much, I go by what looks right..
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Construction a Golden Rectangle

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    well at least you spared us the fibonacci sequence
    how accurate do you want it - 1.6 is usually ok for this lowly cartoonist, and since that is one:three-fifths makes it all a whole load easier... but I tend not to use it that much, I go by what looks right..
    I actually slipped in the Fibonacci Sequence through the sunflowers.

The attachment got deleted instead of the one wrongly enumerated in the second diagram.

The diagram should have been:

Name:	Phi.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	122582

Acorn

This one had two typos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phi.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	122580  
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I actually slipped in the Fibonacci Sequence through the sunflowers.

don't tell me... next up is the golden spiral
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

don't tell me... next up is the golden spiral
    Nope, only pink elephants:

Name:	Pink Elephant.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	122583

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    This Challenge allegedly has deep connections to art, geometry and our psyche.

The Golden Ratio is calculated to be 1.618::1.
    It describes a pattern that is found in sunflowers, playing cards, architecture and web design layout.

Here are two presentations of a Golden Rectangle where the sides are in Golden Ratio proportion:

Attachment 122576

Now it can be shown that the Golden Ratio is integral to the pentagon, where it is Diagonal Length::Edge Length:

Name:	Phi Construction.png 
Views:	144 
ID:	122575
    It is therefore possible to construct the blue Golden Rectangle from this knowledge, as shown.

In this Challenge, I wish you to uncover a simpler construction of the Golden Rectangle.

Acorn

P.S. Phi (ɸ) is (√5 + 1) / 2 ≃ 1.6180339887498948482045868343656
    Acorn , I used to be very aware of the "Golden rectangle" but now a days like handrawn I tend to go by what looks right. I tend to think of the value of Pi as 22/7 or rounded to 3.14159.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Acorn , I used to be very aware of the "Golden rectangle" but now a days like handrawn I tend to go by what looks right. I tend to think of the value of Pi as 22/7 or rounded to 3.14159.
    For pi, use 355/113 (3.14159292), c.f. pi at 3.14159265; 355/113 is 2,000 times more accurate.

Agreed, people do forget that 5/3 (1.6) is very close to Phi (ɸ), around 99% accurate.

Acorn

Info Re: Construction a Golden Rectangle

Here is a quick demonstration of the crossed-eyed elephant:

Name:	Elephant Eyes.jpg 
Views:	109 
ID:	122604

1. Create a Red circle.
    2. Clone, colour Green and align centres vertically to edges.
    3. Clone again, colour Yellow and double size.
    4. Clone this, colour Cyan.
    5. Align bottom Yellow and Green, top Red and Cyan.

The (red) length of the Red/Green intersections is taken as unity.
    Extend the right end to the the right-side intersection fo Yellow/Cyan. This (blue) length is Phi (ɸ).

Note this is the Golden Ratio and a little more would be needed to get a Golden Rectangle but the eyes have it.

Acorn

ah now I see what you mean... very good

[btw the two circles in my eye were in ratio 1:0.618]
    Nothing lasts forever...