Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Biggest Frank - Very informative contributions to this thread. Any chance you can show it in the environment of a breakfast table with bacon and eggs (backyard ones of course [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ), cutlery and china? I understand your extreme examples but I must say I really wonder how those shakers would look like in a less extreme domestic environment.

No doubt about it, the 3d applications are a great visualization tool. Choosing all the appropriate textures, environments, material properties, and lighting setups takes considerable creativity and skill to do it well.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

3D!! my middle name is 3D!
    Nice renders & good info this thread.
    I think Xara and 3D can work hand in hand to help us drawing-challenged people get our vision on the screen.

Now maybe someone should child-proof those shakers. You could loose an eye on those razor sharp edges. A few bevels will make them safer and give the lights something to glint off of [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

wayne K
    Guam USA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandp.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	17110  

... that work here is astonishing!

Jens - all this beauty starts with your design, which you should patent!

From a functional point of view - something that classy should have a peppermill, a pepper shaker would just take away from the exclusivess (is that a word?!?) of the whole package.

I can't see that you could would go wrong with a design like that!

Wayne's version totally takes the price! From an astetics point of view - the holder in chrome instead of the brushed aluminium really brings it all together.

Wayne and Frank, how long did it take to create your beautiful renditions?

Risto

I don't know about Wayne, but I guess this took about half an hour with another half an hour playing with environments and lighting. 3D apps are great for concept visualisations and complement my toolbox admirably.

Wayne, you were right. I added a few bevelled edges (no need to upload any more to the Xara forum!) and it now looks far more 'consumer-friendly'!

Listen, everybody. We've got a 3D forum right here at Talkgraphics (just look in the drop-list at the bottom of this message!). If you're interested in learning more there are some great 3D artists who will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Some of them are also Xartists, and used in combination you can create some stunning works of Xart!

--
    Big Frank was
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

wayne K
    I think your middle and last name is 3d [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Looks real, but not shiny enough.As if it is a dark room, despite of my comment i think it is a bueaty.I won't dare to come close to it.

I have been preparing for a Xara Demo I am doing today at Gallup for a highschool class at a BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) school. I mention this because I have had to fight back the urge to recreate the raytraced images in Xara. But temptation got the better of me and here is a start.

Basically by eliminating a lot of the details that the ray tracing applications include, I think one is able to capture much of the appearance without all the bits and pieces of reflected detritius.

More tomorrow after my session.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vector_vs_raytrace.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	3839  

What a stunningly beautiful, inspiring and informative thread! Thanks!

Wayne, just curious...what program are you using for 3D?

Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Answers:

I took about the same amount of time Big Frank did to set it up.
    Jens did all the real work coming up with the elegant, stunning design.
    After Frank 3D'd it I couldn't resist giving it a try.
    By lifting construction curves off the side
    and top wire frame views in the upper right corner of his illustration it took about 15 minutes to recreate it. The rest of the time was setting lights, shaders and environment.
    I did the model in Rhino (the Xara of the 3D world) and rendered it in Carrara (good fast render engine, don't ask me about the gui).

wayne K
    Guam USA

Vary nice work on the original design no matter how it ends up being rendered -drawn - photographed.

Frank is right about moving over to the 3D list but the people here are so much more fun.

wayne,
    that is absolutely fantastic, what a great piece of condimentary evolution this thread has been!

i imagine a printout, max res on glossy paper of it would be fantastic, well done you all, smeggin' fantastic..big frank hit the nail right on the head, chrome is simply a reflection of it's immediate surroundings, or rather a distorted, mulkti faceted hall of mirrors effect [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

WAYNE,
    i know you will say no but is there any chance of releasing it as a .XASR file i would LOVE to print it out at 1440 dpi on glossy paper
    PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAse?

okay i understand
    cheers
    eric

[This message was edited by scouse eric on May 14, 2001 at 16:53.]