Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Membership Titles

There are users that go back decades on this forum and those that are new. I have noticed that for new members the title (new member) shows up below their name, but for senior members there is just the title (member). I totally understand that we all are still learning and numbers and titles mean nothing but for due respect that I have for regular and non-stop help that some members like Acorn and Gary, Egg etc... are giving, I want to ask if we can apply different titles. Something in the effect of years being a member or number of posts and contributions. I myself go back 2 decades but I do not consider myself anything close to the above mentioned names as far as knowledge of xara program. @Barb asked me to post this so that we can all discuss and possibly come up with a few levels of user names.

Default Re: Membership Titles

Off the top of my head, how about using the names from of a pack of cards, perhaps in descending order of seniority, Ace, King, Jack, with possibly the Queen for females and the Joker for the likes of myself.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Tarot cards, Major Arcania.
    Bags Justice.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Love those ideas.

the number of members that really qualify will be small, perhaps no more than half a dozen - one of them, Gary P, already has his own title

honestly I think it should just be done that way... give the big beasts their own unique label, decided by the forum admin/mods in cosultation with the member in question when it is thought someone qualifies, maybe consult the membership too

any other labelling system might might fun, but is going to be meaningful? I'm a high poster of 11.5 years, I only know certain parts of the program well and a great chunk of it not at all

I don't see an 'automatic' labelling system being of any more use than a like button
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I would say the people deserving of respect don't really need titles to get that respect and the people who want titles generally don't deserve them.

That's not a snipe at people with existing titles, I'd expect anyone with a specific role to have some way of being differentiated, but does anyone really need some titled elite?

I consider this suggestion to be divisive rather than inclusive.

Give people respect for what they post, not make them wait 10,000 posts to get fake respect from a meaningless title.

well said haindrawn. much of this I agree with.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Outside of a few select titles for special persons on the forum (like admins, mods, Gary etc.) the titles mean very little. Join date in combination with post count already gives an indication about who's new or not. Outside of that, the title should not have any influence on the content of discussion and therefore putting more effort into making "special" titles only detracts from the actual discussion IMO.
    As if people are going to (or should) view other people's arguments in different light just because they have a different title "Oh this guy has a Super-Duper Member title so surely whatever he says is better than the New Member!"
    It creates an unofficial hierarchy that can backfire with regards to overall quality. Plus, it can add confusion about the meaning of the title. "This person is a Super moderator, but what's the difference between that and a Moderator?"
    In short, the way it is now is fine with me. Just my opinion of course.

we have super moderators - they have wider brief/privileges[aka 'power'] than 'plain' mods
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I know. My point is that from the perspective of a (somewhat) new member it can be confusing.