Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Membership Titles

I belong to quite a few forums, some of which have hierarchical labelling.. but I take so little notice of it I would have to go and check to recall what those labels actually are.. other than the obvious defining mods/admin

I really do feel a 'long service medal' system to be facile; labels should mean something specific if they are there at all

personally I think 'moderator' and 'super moderator' to be self explanitory, but I guess that depends on your background, and your perception of the meaning of 'super' in this context
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I basically just look at the members post total for people I don't normally see post. Sometimes I look at the join date. Very seldom do I look at the titles.

Based on the age of our members it is getting to the point where the titles would be something along the lines of:

Old Fart
    Really Old fart
    Older than dirt.

Ray

LOL, Ray care to put an age bracket in front of each farts?

why should such a thing matter ?

age brings experience - N'est-ce pas ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

How about titles like
    1. Newbie : Brand new members who don't yet have PM privileges and who have not made many posts.
    2: Regular Member: Someone who has PM priviledges and has shown that they are participating in discussions and contibuting in positive and helpful ways.
    3: Dedicated Member: Some one who has been a Regular Member for a while and has been seen to be regularly mentoring newer members
    4: Advanced Member: Has been a Dedicated Member for a long time, a long time user of the software and the forums.

Also going up in ranking should be based on number of posts and behaviour and bad behaviour that results in infractions should also result in lower ranking
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Angelize - SUPER

who decides who qualifies for these labels?

can those who do not like the idea of all this opt out? - hey maybe they could have an 'uncatagorised by choice' label all of thier own

are you prepared for the extra effort and possible argumemt this may cause?

if you are going to judge [and that is what it is] people on merit, you had better make absolutely sure the system is rigourous...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Just let the person edit their own label if labels will be implemented. That way I can make mine like I do on a couple other forums...

Idiot in Training

Truly, that's what I use on forums that allow user-editable labels.

If it's going to be done, maybe come up with fun titles that add some flavour or humour to the forum and not so much serious titles that might divide members by status.

Delightful Designer - for new members
    Devout Designer - for those around awhile
    Distinguished Designer - for those around longest
    Dissident Designer or Disgruntled Designer- for all those unhappy with the 365 subscription model
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Mike we can sorta do that already by adding text to avatar should we wish to...
    Nothing lasts forever...