Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Don't want my pics copied

Xara365: When I do a pic I've always wanted best quality so I usually make the 96dpi. I've been told you don't lose quality and should reduce them to 72dpi. I'm told what happens is that they are so small when copied that nothing can be done with them, and that they get grainy fast. Does that sound accurate. If so how do I reduce them from 96 to 72dpi. Is there a better way of protection?
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

Default Re: Don't want my pics copied

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGilbert View Post
    Xara365: When I do a pic I've always wanted best quality so I usually make the 96dpi. I've been told you don't lose quality and should reduce them to 72dpi. I'm told what happens is that they are so small when copied that nothing can be done with them, and that they get grainy fast. Does that sound accurate. If so how do I reduce them from 96 to 72dpi. Is there a better way of protection?
    If it is displayed on your screen, it can be copied. Don't bother.
    72dpi will just look poor so no one will linger on your site. Why bother with a site if it isn't appreciated?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGilbert View Post
    As @Acorn stated, there really is no 100% sure way and making them that small is a waste of your time and effort. Unless you put them behind a paywall and just Show thumbnails, the really only way is legally, that requires you to file Copyright protection documents, and put a statement on the site if it is yours that the images are not to be used "__________________" fill in the blank, but at the same time you have to follow every image and where it's used and how. There is the water mark approach but then that takes away from the image unless you plan selling a none water marked version.

You can add a small copyright to the image itself. Though this will not prevent anyone from downloading or screen capturing your image. I was on a site a few days ago that had their copyright added on every image, including a half dozen of my stereograms from which my copyright was removed.

You can use a service like www.TinEye.com to search for your images. I think Google will do this too. And if you find someone using one of your images without permission you can contact and ask them to remove the image. That is about the best you can do.

Amen Acorn. I put a lot of work in my stuff, and I'm not really wanting to do additional work unless necessary. GW what about making a Bitmap Screen copy with the copyright on there? That would make it all one piece; not stopping them from downloading, but I wouldn't think it would be very useful to them. Thanks Sarge for the input.
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

That was my point.

Also, since I think we are talking web here I am going to move this to the Web Design Chat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	122557  

large font semi-transparent watermark text right across - I've seen semi-transparent grids too... if the idea is to sell the digital images themselves...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...