Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Resolution of Exported Images

Greetings, all -

I've been using Xara since 1997 when it was a part of the Corel Graphics Pack. Great program! I'm now on 15, though, because of a bug, I've reverted back to 365 until the bug is fixed.

What I'm doing is creating images to go along with documentation on different processes here at work. I take screen shots, edit them - add arrows, descriptive text, whatever - export them as a PNG and then import the image into Word. Once imported, I had a crisp image to illustrate the relevant step in the documentation.

On Monday, we moved into a new office. I have the same computer I had at our prior office, but a different monitor - a larger one - by a different manufacturer; Planar instead of HP.

The problem is, since Monday, my screen shots are fuzzy. I had thought, at first, that it was because the screen shot from the larger monitor gave me the dialog to choose to import the image into Xara at a lower or original resolution. the smaller HP monitor would just paste the image right in. But, a test I did just now shows that even screen shots that do not trigger this dialog, that paste immediately to Xara, are also slightly fuzzy.

What might cause this loss of resolution? The images that are crisp are 96dpi and the fuzzy ones are 96dpi. I am stumped at what may be causing the degradation.

Any clues?

I've attached an image that I hope shows the problem. Unfortunately, it is based on a screenshot from Word and it loses some resolution just with that. But, when viewed first hand, the top image is clearly a higher resolution.

I appreciate any help! Thanx!

[Edit: Well, I guess that image will be of no help. The forum compressed it and made the resolution issue imperceptible.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image Resolution Problem 01.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	122512  

Default Re: Resolution of Exported Images

Are you using DPX's screen capture?

I just tried a screen shot using Print Screen and then paste and there was no difference. What is the dpi of the blurry image? It sounds to me like it is less than 96dpi.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Are you using DPX's screen capture?

I just tried a screen shot using Print Screen and then paste and there was no difference. What is the dpi of the blurry image? It sounds to me like it is less than 96dpi.
    No, I just used Alt-Print Scn and then pasted into Xara. The fuzzy screenshot is 96dpi. But, it's not fuzzy in Xara; there is no difference, in Xara, between a new screenshot and one from last week. So, the issue isn't with Xara, I don't think. There's no difference in pasting there. The problem is when I export the modified image as a PNG and then import that PNG to Word. In Word, it's fuzzy, but it wasn't just last Friday.

The only difference is that we could only bring our laptops to the new office, not our monitors. So, I went from a 3-screen setup with HP monitors to a 2-screen arrangement consisting of my laptop screen and a Planar monitor. Everything else is identical.

Is it at all possible that the drivers for the different monitor might affect the resolution of the screenshot? I mean, I don't see how, but I can't think of any other variables.

I tried the same procedure in DesignerPro 15, and it provides a crisp image. But, 15 still has that unresolved bug concerning resizing bitmaps which is a major inconvenience for me.

Although, that doesn't answer why less than a week ago, it worked fine with 365

Quote Originally Posted by CKinTX View Post
    But, 15 still has that unresolved bug concerning resizing bitmaps which is a major inconvenience for me.
    Have you installed the update to 15.1? Also, after updating, right click "Lock Aspect Ratio" and deselect "Smart Transform"

To ensure exported images are perfectly crisp and as sharp as when originally captured, I have to do the following:

1. take the PrtScr screenshot and paste onto a page, in my case, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer v16.
    2. scale the screenshot image to 100% (see first screenshot below)
    3. export the selected image as a png ensuring the export height and width pixel size are the same as the original screenshot size. To find this out take a look in the Bitmap gallery (see second screenshot). This will change the dpi value to that of your Windows system display.

In my particular case I run my Windows system with a custom scale set to 120% to make everything slightly easier to read on my laptop. So when I export a png I have to set the export dpi to 115. Once you've worked out what this value is for your system you can just type it in without worrying about pixel sizes.

I don't fully understand all this, but it works for me, so hope it put you on the right track.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot1.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	122515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot2.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	122516
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Promidi View Post
    Have you installed the update to 15.1? Also, after updating, right click "Lock Aspect Ratio" and deselect "Smart Transform"
    Yup, 15.1. Version 15.1.0.53605, in fact.

I just tried deselecting Smart Transform and the same thing happens.

If I click on a bitmap image, say a PNG, it has the look of having been selected with the "Enhance Photos" tool, rather than just the Selector tool, even though the Selector tool is the one highlighted on the tool bar.

If I try to resize the object using one of the handles, it behaves exactly as it should using the "Enhance Photos" tool, even though that's not the active tool.

I submitted a report to Xara on this months ago - May, I believe - and Xara replied that it was a known bug. I had hoped, by now, they'd have an update to fix it.

you also need to activate the select tool boundary handles - click on the first button on the left on the selector tool infobar
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    To ensure exported images are perfectly crisp and as sharp as when originally captured, I have to do the following:

1. take the PrtScr screenshot and paste onto a page, in my case, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer v16.
    2. scale the screenshot image to 100% (see first screenshot below)
    3. export the selected image as a png ensuring the export height and width pixel size are the same as the original screenshot size. To find this out take a look in the Bitmap gallery (see second screenshot). This will change the dpi value to that of your Windows system display.

In my particular case I run my Windows system with a custom scale set to 120% to make everything slightly easier to read on my laptop. So when I export a png I have to set the export dpi to 115. Once you've worked out what this value is for your system you can just type it in without worrying about pixel sizes.

I don't fully understand all this, but it works for me, so hope it put you on the right track.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot1.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	122515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot2.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	122516
    Thanx, Jonopen. That's pretty much what I've done, except I have Import at dpi specified in the image file, rather than Resize large imported photos down to X pixels in Options/View, to avoid having to expand large images all the time. But, the problem was not with viewing the images in Xara; that never changed. It was only when they were saved as PNGs and then imported to Word.

I had no problem with the resolution, the crispness, at all until just last Monday. But, today, the problem seems to have gone away. My images imported to Word are as crisp as they've always been, except for those I created earlier in the week; they're still fuzzy and will have to be replaced.

I don't know how this happened; either for the problem to occur or for it to have gone away. I've not changed any settings or made any other adjustments. The problem seems to have just disappeared. All I can think now is that, because of the move to our new offices, on a new network, I have to VPN to my drives - nothing is stored locally. I don't know if the VPN process might have damaged the resolution, somehow, and that something, somewhere along the connection chain might have been corrected, adjusted, lost, gained, who knows what to have first created the problem and, now, to have resolved it.

Anyway, now it seems to be working just as it has for years.

Maybe it was gremlins...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you also need to activate the select tool boundary handles - click on the first button on the left on the selector tool infobar
    Hmm. I'll look at that.

OK, I had never paid attention to that button before. Well, that sets the handles the way I expect, However, I wonder why Xara told me it's a problem that they were aware of, if that's all it takes.

Well, thanx for the tip, handrawn.