Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Resolution of Exported Images

To ensure exported images are perfectly crisp and as sharp as when originally captured, I have to do the following:

1. take the PrtScr screenshot and paste onto a page, in my case, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer v16.
    2. scale the screenshot image to 100% (see first screenshot below)
    3. export the selected image as a png ensuring the export height and width pixel size are the same as the original screenshot size. To find this out take a look in the Bitmap gallery (see second screenshot). This will change the dpi value to that of your Windows system display.

In my particular case I run my Windows system with a custom scale set to 120% to make everything slightly easier to read on my laptop. So when I export a png I have to set the export dpi to 115. Once you've worked out what this value is for your system you can just type it in without worrying about pixel sizes.

I don't fully understand all this, but it works for me, so hope it put you on the right track.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot1.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	122515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot2.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	122516
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Default Re: Resolution of Exported Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    To ensure exported images are perfectly crisp and as sharp as when originally captured, I have to do the following:

1. take the PrtScr screenshot and paste onto a page, in my case, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer v16.
    2. scale the screenshot image to 100% (see first screenshot below)
    3. export the selected image as a png ensuring the export height and width pixel size are the same as the original screenshot size. To find this out take a look in the Bitmap gallery (see second screenshot). This will change the dpi value to that of your Windows system display.

In my particular case I run my Windows system with a custom scale set to 120% to make everything slightly easier to read on my laptop. So when I export a png I have to set the export dpi to 115. Once you've worked out what this value is for your system you can just type it in without worrying about pixel sizes.

I don't fully understand all this, but it works for me, so hope it put you on the right track.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot1.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	122515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot2.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	122516
    Thanx, Jonopen. That's pretty much what I've done, except I have Import at dpi specified in the image file, rather than Resize large imported photos down to X pixels in Options/View, to avoid having to expand large images all the time. But, the problem was not with viewing the images in Xara; that never changed. It was only when they were saved as PNGs and then imported to Word.

I had no problem with the resolution, the crispness, at all until just last Monday. But, today, the problem seems to have gone away. My images imported to Word are as crisp as they've always been, except for those I created earlier in the week; they're still fuzzy and will have to be replaced.

I don't know how this happened; either for the problem to occur or for it to have gone away. I've not changed any settings or made any other adjustments. The problem seems to have just disappeared. All I can think now is that, because of the move to our new offices, on a new network, I have to VPN to my drives - nothing is stored locally. I don't know if the VPN process might have damaged the resolution, somehow, and that something, somewhere along the connection chain might have been corrected, adjusted, lost, gained, who knows what to have first created the problem and, now, to have resolved it.

Anyway, now it seems to be working just as it has for years.

Maybe it was gremlins...