Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Limits of a .xar documents

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Xara doesn't perform super well on documents with a very large number of pages (content dependant, 1000 pages of text is easier to handle than say 500 pages of images). It's a known performance issue on the list to improve but there's no hard limit on the number of pages you can have in a document. Doesn't come up very often though as the majority of documents I see are less than 100 pages.

As far as memory limits go it's all system dependant. If your on a 32bit system it's 3.5Gb, on 64bit I think it's something huge like 192gb. You can go to File > Document information to see roughly the memory usage of the document.

Thanks
    Rob
    Thank You very much Rob.

Is there a problem when I import the Images in native dimension? Or is it better after import all imges to optimize to 300 ppi. The images I get are all in non one resolution, so I think this will eat memory.

I work on a 64bit workstation with 32 GB Ram. So this think is off the table – or not?

How Acorn and I say it is possible to split the book in chapters. The output and conversation in to a greyscale printable PDF is not the problem.

The thing is, I've to many options to do this book. My favorite program I'd give a kick. So my requirement is to do this in Xara, I will see the limits Xara give us.

On the other side I know that Xara goes in the knees when I do that f....k „Datenshutzverordnug” for my Webclients. It's only text, but Xara's reaction time is under the perfomace You will work with.

At the end, the best is I'll try it out. And how I wrote I give a feedback how it's work or no. And remember – We Bavarians have alltimes a alternative or say plan-B.

Servus Ernie

Edit:
    I've forgot to tell you the memory of all images, this is about ‪1141,1‬ GB.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x-4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	122513

How I promissed here is my Xara-Desaster. My Xara disaster with continuous text.

It is not possible to add a 509,7 KB text to Xara without waiting about 5 minutes until Xara reacts again.

Once you have the text in Xara, the disaster continues. Each adaptation to the style sheets or pages takes just as long as the next 5 minutes. Or Xara crashes.
    It's just not editable. My book project which I wanted to realize with Xara is not realizable in this way.

Xara: Why does the program behave like this? Exactly 70.779 words were inserted from Word via the editor (to delete all formatting). When I try to open the Word file is the same. The Word file has 240 Pages A4.

Xara as graphics program - O. K. Xara as DTP - no go.

Servus Ernie

Can you send me your sample files and I can take a look into this?

Yep, if Xara will open it again You got a .xar-file and the original Word-file.

Oh Xara opens it again. So here are the files.
    Dreesch.xar
    Dreesch.zip

Ernie,

I don't know if this helps with your first question ("Can please anyone give me answers to the following questions:

1. where is the physical memory limit of a .xar document?"
    ), but in the drawings I do of city/street scenes including buildings and their detail, people, transportation, etc. I find that the Xara program starts complaining when I hit 26,000 kb and above.

Complaining: meaning the redraws slow waayyy down and I might start getting "out of memory" errors.

At that point, I start looking as to where I can simplify my drawing, using fewer shapes, etc., and I will block the view of all layers except for the one layer I'm working on. Then, when I want to look at the entire drawing, of course, I'll open the view of all layers, which, of course, will take a while.

That's my experience.

I have an HP 2in1 desk top
    4 Gigs RAM
    512 Gig Memory
    Windows 10 Home Edition
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Ernie,

I don't know if this helps with your first question ("Can please anyone give me answers to the following questions:

1. where is the physical memory limit of a .xar document?"
    ), but in the drawings I do of city/street scenes including buildings and their detail, people, transportation, etc. I find that the Xara program starts complaining when I hit 26,000 kb and above.

Complaining: meaning the redraws slow waayyy down and I might start getting "out of memory" errors.

At that point, I start looking as to where I can simplify my drawing, using fewer shapes, etc., and I will block the view of all layers except for the one layer I'm working on. Then, when I want to look at the entire drawing, of course, I'll open the view of all layers, which, of course, will take a while.

That's my experience.

I have an HP 2in1 desk top
    4 Gigs RAM
    512 Gig Memory
    Windows 10 Home Edition
    Thanks Ron for Your expirience. I have done complex drawings with Xara with tons of objects, blends and transparancies. No problem.
    But now I'll try to set a book with floating text over mor e then 200 pages. The other project include ca. 1.500 images, 1.000 Ppages and requiert floating text.

Thats my problem: Xara has a gap in handling large texts.
    You can try it out open my word document which is in the zip because the forum dont knows docx.

Servus Ernie

ernie, sad to say copying from MS Word document and pasting as RTF into Xara took close to your 5 minutes.
    Copying from MS Word document and pasting as HTML into Xara crashed the application without any warning.

Once loaded, typing in anything was taking seconds to update and visibly appear.
    Adding images would only compound the problem.

In loading and typing into Xara, with 32Gb memory, the loaded document was almost 500MB (c.f., MS Word file size of 506kB taking up 70MB memory).

I am not quite sure what you mean by "floating text", so I just loaded into an A4 1-column document.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    ernie, sad to say copying from MS Word document and pasting as RTF into Xara took close to your 5 minutes.
    Copying from MS Word document and pasting as HTML into Xara crashed the application without any warning.

Once loaded, typing in anything was taking seconds to update and visibly appear.
    Adding images would only compound the problem.

In loading and typing into Xara, with 32Gb memory, the loaded document was almost 500MB (c.f., MS Word file size of 506kB taking up 70MB memory).

I am not quite sure what you mean by "floating text", so I just loaded into an A4 1-column document.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

floating is maybe the wrong word in english but I find no better. What I mean is I need ONE textstream over all pages.

Thx again for looking into it and yes it is frustrating to work with long texts in Xara.

Servus Ernie

@Rob-Xar
    Hi Rob, did you have time to look at my files? If yes, is there a solution to my problem?
    Thanks for your support.

Servus Ernie

Sorry been super busy past couple of days, looking at it now, will let you know.