Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Not so easy to learn / use ?

Just wondering, has anyone else who is NOT a seasoned user of XARA,
    found themselves fumbling around trying to find options, features, to edit buttons or content,
    and feel like things in XARA work different than you would expect ?

It seems like every time I try to come back to using XARA after being away for a couple months, I am starting from scratch and wasting 50 minutes of each hour, trying to figure out how to make it work. Just had trouble setting up the 'Navigation Bar' because I forgot you have to go 'import' a button to then trigger the Nav Bar. And last 15 minutes trying to edit the fonts and colors of the text in the buttons.

Makes me feel like I am new to the concepts of web design, every time I start a new project.

Maybe its the European software flow conflicting with old school American software clash.
    Maybe it was 10 years of using another (American) web design program, and this program is more modern and different.
    Or have others found it not so easy to learn or just use?

Just curious, not complaining, but I upgraded in June and now have to re-install a newer version (what - no upgrade geek in the programmers group). Lacking a clear "version number", I thought I needed to upgrade again and have started wondering, maybe time to change software instead.

Frolin

Default Re: Not so easy to learn / use ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frolin View Post
    Maybe its the European software flow conflicting with old school American software clash.
    Maybe it was 10 years of using another (American) web design program, and this program is more modern and different.
    Or have others found it not so easy to learn or just use?
    The software has evolved a workflow from what was originally a fantastic illustration program and has a quirky workflow unlike any other web design software.

This has nothing to do with USA vs European software. These days a lot of "USA-based" software is actually developed in India!

Any software you are new to has a learning curve. If all software worked the same way, we'd all be using the same program.

I think it is very common for new users to expect a software program to work in certain ways and when it does not we find this counter intuitive.

As Paul point out, every software program has a learning curve.

My advice is take your time and learn the "flow and logic" of Xara. It does make sense and once it clicks it will make all the sense in the world.

Many years ago, I compiled a group of short explanatory tutorials in what I called the XaraXone Workbook http://archive.xaraxone.com/html/workbook.html Have a look at some of these and it may help you learn. Most of these techniques are very basic and still work with the latest version.

Juggling is an art that has to be built up. In Xara, you need a few solid techniques and practice.

I would never jump into a web design with a template without tearing it down and poking around.
    When i find a new part, I work on it, or even ask in TG. No shame necessary.

Xara's great UI failing is having so many dialog boxes for options, none are that intuitive.
    Xara has a fantastic tree structure in its Page and Layer gallery. The options should be accessible there and flow outwards, not a hunt and peck.

Xara has done an excellent job at leveraging a vector graphic package into a website generator; there is no other comparable application out there so bear with it if web is your thing.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi, I'm a printig guy and come from Macs and Adobe. I the early 1990ies I worked as a print-administrator in the Czech Republik. They all worked on PC and mostly CorelDraw.

So I had to spring in the PC-adventure. Over Corel I find Xara.

The first testing and feeling was amazing. Since this time is Xara, now XDP v16, my daily bread-design-software for all work I need. My compotences are print but I do with Xara websites too. The learnig curve was smal, in one week I do printwork for all purposes, in this times I start with XaraXtrem v5.

Sometimes I forgot some web things too. In Xara is a great help-function that helps to remember how. If not here is the right place to ask.

An other link is XaraXhris video tutorials on YouTube. Verry rich on things I haven't know and I'm working with Xara a long time. Here is the Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_3M...jVXGQeQjVvmLWS

Folks,
    Thanks for the replies... and Gary for the link to training material.
    It sounds like you folks have been using XARA for some time and gotten comfortable with it.

Per my opening line... "Just wondering, has anyone else who is NOT a seasoned user of XARA,"
    I was wondering if others WHO HAVE NOT used XARA for some time, felt the variables I was feeling.

Any change in software requires relearning, that is true. Changes from older programs to modern, will increase this.
    I was curious if others who are NOT regular users, now after time experienced users, were finding hassles and hurdles as well in the early days.

I have been trying to utilize XARA for two years, but not on a daily or regular basis. So when I start a new web project, after being out of XARA for say 3-4 months, it seems I spend the lots of time having relearn and refind basic options. Sometimes its a change in 'wording' (which makes the Help feature not so helpful when using different search words).

So was just asking what other 'newer users' were finding.
    Frolin

New users? Any comments.

Frolin - I think the best way to learn is to start simple. Create something like a business card. Make a logo. Add some type. Print it on your printer.

The Workbooks are filled with simple quick tutorials. Find one or two that look interesting and work through them.

And of course us old folk are here to help you when you have questions and to applaud your efforts when you succeed.

Hi, I am one of those users Frolin refers to.
    I came across from Serif a couple of years ago, along with many on here. I run two websites for our family business, and use Xara maybe every six months, and yes, every time I have forgotten how things work.
    Of course the simple answer is to use it more, update websites more often, and the learning curve gets smoothed out. I will do this one day I promise!

Here is a list of my current problems, maybe I never learned the answers before...
    1) I want to publish just the mobile version, not the desktop, as I have made changes to the mobile version I want to get live, how can I do this?
    2) The saving convention drives me nuts, I save my site, lets call it WEBSITE 1, then I open a new untitled site and it gets added to my original one even if I rename it something else like WEBSITE 2, then opening WEBSITE 2 also shows my original again!
    I guess many of you are now saying DUH! but I am missing something I know.

I read the help files etc, but like a lot of people I am always in a hurry to get it done, not enough time to truly absorb, nobody can have a cure for that, but maybe software with AI which I am sure is coming will help solve these issues.
    Good luck Frolin, you are NOT alone!

Starmo - These are good questions. Please start a new thread so we can keep this topic focused.