Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boromean Rings

Question Boromean Rings

Starting with three overlapping circles (see https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...a-Venn-Diagram), can you construct a set of Boromean Rings?

The key feature is if you remove any one ring to find the other two are not linked.
    The follow-up question is how make cuts and re-welds would you need to join three solid rings into a Boromean Ring?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boromean Rings.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	122493

I recall Egg described a method a time back.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Boromean Rings

Over under over under over under etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overlap.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	122494  

Thanks Gary, effectively you are cutting and repositioning four shapes.
    I suggest it can be done with only two, which is in the spirit of the follow-up question.

There is also a preparation stage - how should you get from a circle with no line width to a circular shape that you have used?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I created a circle, increased the line width, then converted the circle to shape.

Have no idea how to do this any other way. It took me a long time just to get to this stage.

Well if you create the following shape, then get the rotation circle in the right spot you could rotate a duplicate 120, and degrees and again. But I am sure you have a more clever method.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Well if you create the following shape, then get the rotation circle in the right spot you could rotate a duplicate 120, and degrees and again. But I am sure you have a more clever method.
    Gary, I was thinking ahead for those users without XDPX. In XWD(P), there are no Convert Line to Shape, Break Shapes, Clipview or even Convert to Editable Shapes options.

Acorn

This was the image I forgot to post yesterday. Removing the two sections from one ring, then rotating at the point where the three circles overlap will create the interlocking circle effect.

Name:	rotate.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	122504  

This is how I did it.

Just duplicated the blue ring. Then cut out the two bits (shown in dark blue) that are required for the effect.

[EDIT] Forgot to add, Red ring on top, Green ring behind that, then the Blue ring right at the back.

Name:	rings.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	122505  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Info Re: Boromean Rings

Thank you all. The solutions are all quite similar.

Here is my approach:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Borromean Rings Construction.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	122509

and design file: Borromean Rings.xar.

The stylising of the rings was through the use of a Circular Fill with additional fill handles to range the colours.

Acorn

I have done this linking rings before but I have been playing with this for a couple days and could not get it to work.

What I forgot to do was to go under the Arrange menu and convert line to shape. I kept right clicking and picking convert to editable shape. Was not able to get it to work all. It was driving me nuts and I finally remember to look under the menu and not right click.

Thanks Acorn for this time waster/drive me nuts project.

Ray